Triumph 675 Forums banner

Speeding and the Police

17K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  jchawkins 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what the official policy of the police is regarding speeding motorcycles in the Baltimore/DC region? I have heard there is a no pursuit policy, and have reason to believe its true. I'm certainly not advocating unlawful behavior - just curious. Any experiences?

#14 ·
i have serious reason to doubt this here in NC. I personly have had to deal with this twice now. thanks to idiot friends #1 and #2

idiot friend #1 on his vfr800 ran the state troopers from rockingham co well into guilford. trooper said he maxed his charger at 148 on highway 29 with the VFR pulling away from him. so after they blocked highway 150 and cought him idiot friend #2 and i go to pick him up from jail ( lots of fines and no drivers linces). the vary next day not even 24 hours later idiot friend #2 has my daytona and passes a cop at 151 in a 45......like i said idiot, he got chased down, arrested, bike impounded, no license and jail.

So here in NC I have reason to believe that they will chase bikes no matter what, and now supposivly if you run and are cought they confiscate what ever it is that you are driving/riding including if the vehicle is towing something that is gone too.

#4 ·
from my understanding, a no pursuit is a judgement call.

they will attempt to pull a speeding motorcyclist in a safe manner, if the bike runs, im sure they will follow and pursue based on level of safety. if that motorcyclist is weaving in and out of heavy traffic at 100 mph, they probably will pull off the pursuit, and probably radio ahead, or have a helicopter follow you.

cant outrun the radio.

#6 ·
The radio can't catch you either. :whistle:

#9 ·
Heheh :biggrinjester:

Thing is they're dependent on a network of vehicles spotting you, that makes two weak points.

But if they spot you in the first place, you were stupid anyway :whistle:

#10 ·
But if they spot you in the first place, you were stupid anyway :whistle:
In my younger squidier days I used to go out and bait the popo. In heindsight it was stupid. But so was laying in a ditch for 4 hours waiting on them to leave the area with my then bike covered with brush.

#13 · (Edited)
My son got tagged for 132 in a 50 zone in his Civic Si (I checked - it would top out at 137) The cop that pulled him over was the drug dog cop and said if it was anyone else he wouldve spent the night in jail with the car impounded but he didn't normally do traffic stops at all and just gave him the ticket.
Now his insurance is jacked up and selling the car.

#19 ·
This entire thread is full of stupid. What difference does it make if they have a no chase rule?

Second if you do run and get caught you are an idiot. If you haul past a cop at over 100 and stay on the same highway long enough for them to shut it down you deserve to get caught and have your punishment double for being extra stupid.

As a note I have never run from police and never intend to, but if I did I would be the **** off the road and out of sight as soon as I could be.

#20 ·
I agree with all the smart thinking people here. Why is it worth the risk plus possible jail time for a ticket? If you want to do that kind of speed save it for the track. Plus why would you want to always look behind you to see if you have a cop behind you all the time?

#21 ·
Just remember this if you think you have gotten away. If they did catch your plate, they may come knocking at your door with a warrant. Your cell phone may give you away. Have an acquaintance that outran a bunch of police in Tampa. Ditched his bike at the airport and made it home. They came knocking at his door and used his cell phone gps tracks to crucify him in court. He lost his license and spent many thousands (want to say over $10,000) in legal fees. It just doesn't pay in the end. Oh, he also outran the sheriff's helicopter! Yes, he was moving and got a really hard judge.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#28 ·
I too was wondering how long that kind of data is stored. Can they look back a month and see where my phone was?

And they shouldn't need a reason NOT to track you, but should need a solid reason TO track you.

You might not be doing anything wrong, but what you're doing is nobody else's business. Its an invasion of privacy.

#27 ·
It's not worth running. Just pull over and take the damn ticket. I've had a cop go past me when I was doing 100+ slowed down to see if he'd turn around and didn't see him turn around. Couple miles down the road he caught up lol. I deserved that one though. Anyway needless to say the tickets that loss me off are when I get pulled over because I'm a little over the limit on a sports bike.

oh squiggly line how I doth love how you make my tripple howl

#32 ·
Invasion of privacy? I don't expect any privacy regarding anything that involves cell or internet technology. If the government isn't looking at it, I assume marketers are. I haven't read all of the small print, but I suspect that the 20 something page long contract I signed when signing up for my cell service contains some legalize saying that any information, other than maybe my data, is the property of the cell carrier. Perhaps I am wrong, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised.

#33 ·
Invasion of privacy? I don't expect any privacy regarding anything that involves cell or internet technology. If the government isn't looking at it, I assume marketers are. I haven't read all of the small print, but I suspect that the 20 something page long contract I signed when signing up for my cell service contains some legalize saying that any information, other than maybe my data, is the property of the cell carrier. Perhaps I am wrong, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised.

Maybe not expecting it is part of the issue. Again, its their network, and if its in the contract then REALLY shame on me haha, but I'd rather not have the whereabouts of my phone (as only one example) mined and shared and potentially used against me at some point.

Right or not right is a moral discussion that hijacks the thread even more .. just feels like another few feet down the slippery slope

#34 ·
We could start another thread about privacy. The worst is mainstream social media, ie Facebook. Absolutely nothing is private there. What some don't realize is that exif data on digital photos give away info. It's just one more data point that can place you at a certain location on a specific date and time. That is if the pics were taken on a cell phone or a camera that has GPS. Yes, not expecting privacy does suck, but there is damn near nothing that I can do about it, but be careful. That or go off the grid, but I like creature comforts too much to go off the grid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.