Triumph 675 Forums banner

6k Service/ Duc ride

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  pyroking339 
#1 ·
I went in this last weekend to get my 6k service done on my 12' Striple and while I was waiting I asked if I could ride one of the Ducati Monster 796's that were on the floor. The sales guy said sure and a few photocopies later off I went. I returned a bit later woefully disappointed. I figured that the highly praised exotic streetfighter would blow me away but as it turned out I couldnt wait to get back on my Striple. The ergos while comfortable, felt like I was sitting ON the front forks and the power was virtually dead until about 6k RPM with a dead spot at 3k. Turn in felt awkward and forced, not smooth and natural. Braking with the Brembos up front was one of two high points of the ride, with them being great on feedback and quick to stop when needed. The exhaust note being the second good thing especially on deceleration, but overall I was not impressed. I dont know if Im missing something here but why in the hell would someone dump the coin on this buzzy twin when you can get more bike for less? Just my 2 cents, not intending to piss on the Duc faithful.

#3 ·
That was the other bike I was seriously considering when I bought mine. Glad I got the STR

#6 ·
You also check the air filter. Personally I typically replace spark plugs and air filter at the 6k both are typically beyond the point where I would think they could make it another 6k without affecting performance or rideability.

Most Ducs are way way over rated. People go for them the same reason someone would buy a Ferrari instead of a Corvette or a Nissan GTR.

#7 ·
I test rode the 796 and Streetfighter 848 as competition for the ST3R. The 796 didn't do much for me at all, too unrefined and not enough substance to go with the style. Looks good though.

The SF848 I liked in some ways - great sound, again liked the looks - but hated it below 6000rpms or 40mph. Stiff clutch pull and tweaky fueling made me think it wouldn't be a good city bike...Well those things can of course be fixed with mods, but still...In the end, nothing could beat the ST3R for versatility, performance, and fun factor. Oh, and it left about 3000 extra $$$ in my pocket too.

I would choose the Streety again every day of the week and twice on Sunday!

#11 ·
I sold my Monster 696 for the STR. The STR is far superior in both engine and clutch which accounts for 80% of the riding experience. I do prefer the less upright position of the Monster though, there is less wind turbulance at 85mph+ speeds on the Monster than on the STR (I do have both flyscreen and flyscreen visor).

#15 ·
The 796 is basically Ducati's entry level platform. Even though I am a "ducti-guy" I really don't like this bike. Every thing on this particular bike feels disjointed to me and feels, dare I say it, a bit cheap.

The larger bikes they put out seem to have a whole different feeling and approach. Its just an expensive entry level machine from a boutique manufacturer. Some people find these quirks quite endearing. There is a reason that I chose the 675 over another Ducati. To make a the Italian bike work and feel like a Triumph, or for that matter a Japanese bike is time consuming and expensive. Our bikes basically work like magic right out of the box. My wife's bike pictured in my avatar is of higher quality both suspension and performance and definitely works for us.

Mark

#16 ·
The monsters have always felt very, simple to me. Take that as good or bad depending no what you're looking for. In their defense, they geared really poorly off the floor, and that's usually one of the first things people do to put a lil pep back in em.

But without a doubt, inferior bike to the 675 triple in a Daytona chassis. Win!

#21 ·
no offence to anyone who owns a ducati, but i cant wrap my head around spending so much on a bike that seems to need constant maintenance. it seems like in every comparison the valve adjustment interval on the ducati is 7,500 miles compared to 10,000, 12,000, or more on everything else, of course ive never rode one to know, but it just seems like they get hyped up a lot.

#22 ·
I tend to agree with that. Though the new Desmond system is suppose to increase valve adjust intervals substantially and they've gone to a cam chain with a long life as well.

I'm absolutely convinced that they sell because they are considered a near affordable exotic. I've heard it said by many a uneducated or novice rider that Ducati is the Ferrari of motorcycles. I don't know about you but as someone that feels they are fairly knowledgeable about cars as well as bikes I wouldn't own an exotic anything. It's like a brand thing where they can charge more then its worth. It always seems like exotics despite being powerful or fast are harder to drive that way and less refined then other regular sportscars or bikes on the road.

#23 ·
There is just something exotic and nice about Ducati's and Aprilla's. You look at the build quality of the Ducati vs Triumph and its clear the Triumph is better made. Though the 696 is their base/starter bike.

Oh and before I ment to say that being I own a ST3 and a 696 I can tell you the Ducati has better brakes. And mine are upgraded with better pads and fluid. Her's is still on stock everything.

#27 ·
Being able to lock a brake has nothing to do with the power or ability of the brakes. You can shove a pipe in the spokes and it will lock the wheel as well. Good brakes offer tremendous control. You can stop faster without locking with good brakes because you can hold the tire right on the edge of traction.

I could see why the Duc brakes feel better then the standard Street brakes. The Street R brakes are much much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.