Triumph 675 Forums banner

Torn - 2013 D675R or 2013 STR?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  TRMN8TR 
#1 ·
Guys,

Just looking for an opinion on what model I should get. Here are the basics about my situation:

I'm 37 years old, new to the concept of track riding - but totally f*cking hooked after doing a track day earlier this year on a Yammy R6. I found the riding position to be almost as unpleasant as ass cancer, but I had never ridden a proper sport bike and am open to the idea that my body will adjust over time.

I owned a 2011 STR which was magical and would definitely consider getting a 2013 STR and devoting its use to track only - I have a BMW R1200GS that is sublime for road use, so the new bike would be all track, all the time.

Should I put on my big boy pants, bite the bullet and get the 2013 Daytona R, or play it safe and buy the familiar STR?

Both bikes are so pretty.

#3 ·
+1. You want the best track tool for a track only bike.

BTW, I ride my R6 on the track. The only thing that gets sore is my legs, from shifting myself back and forth, to the inside of the bike in a corner. And the soreness is the following day.
If you are getting a sore ass, maybe you need to move around, and get it off to the side in the corners.

#4 ·
For the ST watching people ride that, it does look awkward to ride on the track with since you are sitting so upright, and the rearsets are still in that performance setting. The sore ass, I get that just because I dont have much of one haha, but on the track you shouldnt really be "sitting" much should be on your toes and kind of floating is what I usually call it. There is a reason MotoGP racers only have that little piece of sandpaper haha

#5 ·
Go with the Daytona. And unless you just have enough money for it, look into getting something used if it is going to be track only. I bought my '12 brand new not intending for it to be a track bike and it looks like it will be raced for a full season next year. I kind of wish now that I had got something a little cheaper... kind of.

#6 ·
Yup- what they said. It's built for the track. My first track day was on a STR and I too got the bug. I then bought an R6 for track only but missed the engine of the 675. Sold both bikes and bought a 2007 D675- and with the 4k surplus I upgraded the suspension to ohlins and got a bazzaz and full race exhaust and couldn't be happier. You know what to do :)

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#10 ·
I think that's good advice. I kinda wish I had the second gen bike. But I did get my 07 for 5k with 6k miles- pretty good deal and tough one to pass up. It's more bike than I am rider so I'm pretty stoked right now. It sounds like the op has more funds than I and if I were him I'd go for a used second gen bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#11 ·
Guys thanks for all the advice - it's unanimous - all in favor of the D675.

No complaints from anyone about the ergos?

I had an awesome year and my wife is pushing me to get something that will make me happy - 2013 Datona R it is!

#15 ·
Guys thanks for all the advice - it's unanimous - all in favor of the D675.

No complaints from anyone about the ergos?

I had an awesome year and my wife is pushing me to get something that will make me happy - 2013 Datona R it is!
ergos? You are racing not cruising on a Harley lol

If need be get different rearsets, but other than that haul ass and take names.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.