Triumph 675 Forums banner

Typical battery lifespan?

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  chadbaldwin 
#1 ·
Just wondering how many months/years you guys get out of your battery? I already have the upgraded R/R (R1 unit) but it sounds like my battery is starting to go (startup is getting slower).

My battery (OEM) lasted 1 year and 1 month (about 10k mi). Is that normal?

I'll check the charge tonight with the bike running; I'm expecting to see a voltage right around 14v since that's what I got when I upgraded to the new R/R over a year ago...

#2 ·
Get a Shorai lithium ion battery and throw the OEM one away.

The Shorai is smaller, lighter and i've had mine in the bike for two years now.

It never fails to spin the motor up, rain, hail or shine.

I've done plenty of map changing as well with the little Shorai, no problems at all.

You don't need to charge them, they hold their charge unused for a year!

Fantastic batteries, recommended.

S.

#7 ·
Twelve years on my Road King and Norton keeping it on a Battery Tender at all times. Every vehicle I own that is not used on a daily basis gets a Battery Tender. Best investment for trouble free riding in my opinion. Prior to using BT's, I would typically get three seasons from a battery. If I was lucky.....

#8 ·
I never had to change the battery in my SV. I have a feeling it is sub-par electronic parts in the Triumph. Maybe the stator puts too much stress on batteries killing them prematurely, not sure? The stock R/R I had definitely did; it destroyed a new battery in 3 months.

I ride about 4 days a week year round, so I really shouldn't need a battery tender.

#10 ·
+1 for Shorai

I've have mine in my bike for well over a year, and I ride daily year round... love it! I did drain my Shorai once when I accidentally left the parking lights on all night and my bike didn't have enough juice to start the next morning. Hooked it up to a relatively common Battery Tender JR for a couple hours, and it was like it never happened.

I do sometimes run into trouble starting the bike on the coldest days here in SoCal (when it gets into the 50s) where I may have to wait a few minutes to let the battery "wake up" before it will turn the engine over. Most lithium batteries are similar, not a major concern.

#11 ·
Sounds like Shorai is the way to go. I quickly ordered a Powermax early this morning but don't have a whole lot of experience with them. It was cheap, so no big deal if it doesn't work out; may just get a Shorai as backup. I didn't want to wait any longer since the bike is my lifeline! Can't deal with traffic sitting in a cage!

#13 ·
My OE battery in my 2006 D675 died after less than a year - didn't use a battery tender.

Dec 2006 I had the dealer prepare a new OE battery and I installed in in Dec of 2006. Its still in the bike and seems healthy. It has lived on a battery tender when not being ridden. So its still healthy almost 6 years later.

I will replace it soon. When batteries get that old they just suddenly fail. Don't want that hassle.

#16 ·
Shorai and you can use a regular Battery Tender to charge it if needed.

The OEM lasted 5-years w/ battery tender attached, and was still holding a charge. Decided to replace it with the Shorai as they are so light!

#20 ·
I have 1.5 years on the original battery, never on a tender, starts up every time without fail. I would love to use a light-weight battery but it is just too cold here as it is regularly below freezing at night and occasionally for weeks at a time. I ride year-round, save for snow.

~Ex

#22 ·
I can't speak for the Daytona since I haven't had mine for very long (5 months, 14K miles). But I have the original battery in my 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R. I bought it in Sept 2010 and have put 35K miles on it. The first year I rode it every day commuting to work. The second year it's been my track bike. Only gets ridden a couple times a month, other than that it sits in the garage. I've never had my battery die on me, not even once and it still start strong on the first or second crank. Though now that it's my track bike I do want to get a lithium battery for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.