Triumph 675 Forums banner

Cold tires are the devil

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Papachristou 
#1 ·
So, been a while since I've posted here. School has been busy, but I am nearly done! In about six months I will finally have a real job to go along with my crippling six figure tuition debt. My life will be awesome!

Unfortunately, all this business has meant I haven't gotten to ride my baby very much lately. When I do ride, it always seems to be bad luck. I went for a weekender trip with my dad and got a speeding ticket for coasting down a hill, which needless to say, sucked. Just thought I was over being mad about that and not wanting to ride, so this week I thought I would take my bike into the dealer to have the R/R replaced under the new recall. All of this lack of riding means that I forgot the number one rule about cold tires: Let them warm up!

So, if you haven't guessed yet, I just laid down my beautiful unblemished '10SE for the first time. What's worse, it was at about 5MPH, and right in front of a copper. Of course he was also a rider, so he felt my pain as I was surveying the damage. I am now in need of some parts to fix the damage done.

I won't post them here again, but if you have some RH (passenger side) stuff you want to get rid of that isn't worse off then what I have please help a broke student buddy out.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=67202 <--- Take a gander if you will?

Also, how are things with you guys?

sassafras

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm sorry about your luck man. At least you are ok. I know very well the cold tires problem though with riding in the mid to lower 30's a few times last week. I have learned to be extremely slow and easy on the throttle through corners, but I've noticed it spinning when I get on it just a little bit out of a corner quite a few times. It's actually kind of fun if you're expecting it haha

#3 ·
That sucks man, but at least it was only at 5mph! I know what you mean about cold tires, once the temps started dropping around here I became more and more careful with each turn and using the least amount of lean angle possible.

#6 ·
first off, NO PICS??????????? secondly, does anyone really know how slow 5mph actually is? i think these bikes actually idle fast than that so i dont know how cold tires caused you to go down at 5mph. can you even lean a bike at 5mph? At the end of the day, rider error is the cause.

anyway, sorry to hear. If you still had the stock pirellis, please ditch them. they are absolutely awful in cold weather. I found some bridgestone bt016s under $200 last year and was amazed how much grip i had in the cold. Im about to order some bridgestone s20s for my new bike.

SE parts will be hard to find.

#8 ·
first off, NO PICS??????????? secondly, does anyone really know how slow 5mph actually is? i think these bikes actually idle fast than that so i dont know how cold tires caused you to go down at 5mph. can you even lean a bike at 5mph? At the end of the day, rider error is the cause.

anyway, sorry to hear. If you still had the stock pirellis, please ditch them. they are absolutely awful in cold weather. I found some bridgestone bt016s under $200 last year and was amazed how much grip i had in the cold. Im about to order some bridgestone s20s for my new bike.

SE parts will be hard to find.
Most definitely rider error. It was more like 15 mph, but I was exaggerating for effect. The turn was from my driveway, so there was a little slope, which means that coupled with an aggressive right turn and a little too much throttle as I leaned it up means it went right out from underneath me. If it wasn't 35 degrees out and wet, I don't know that the tires would have slid, but c'est la vie, lesson learned.

And I am long past those stock Pirellis. Not only were they shit in the cold, but they got maybe 2,000 miles of on road driving before they were bald. I'm running Power Pures now and I like them, though this was my first truly cold day on them.

Also, The good news is that aside from the plastics, I didn't break anything unique to the SE. Luckily, too, my frame and metal painted bits are fine. Hooray!

sassafras

#9 ·
Glad you're alright and learnd your lesson. :thumbup:

Pirellis teach you to warm your tyres up, never had a problem once they're awake... And they worked flawlessly on snow, I kinda doubt you can top that :biggrinjester:

And:

:xscuseless:

#13 ·
Sounds about right. Oh well, at least I wasn't at speed where it could have been worse.

Oh, and since you're all bitching about pictures, I will take some tomorrow and post them up. Actually, it's really not that bad. I could probably take some grit polish the the plastic rash and make it about 75% better.

sassafras

#14 ·
saffrassas-no problem. i figured.

Yep, i always over analyze, sorry!

+1 to the sliders. I dropped both my daytonas! Once in the driveway getting ready for a ride with the wife. flicked the stand down but it didnt catch in the lock position or bounced back up or i never hooked it good enough (already had my earplugs in so i didnt hear it) anyway, i was dismounting, had one leg swinging over when i realized what was about to happen but it was too late, i was off balance and had a 450 pound bike coming down. Sliders saved everything but a faint rash on the bar end, clutch and mirror. If it wasnt for those....... ugh.

I had just gotten my new R, pulled over just past an overpass and wasnt quite stopped, my foot slide on a rock or something. worst part, was i had a choice that day, install my sliders or go for a ride........... i left my leg under the bike and set it down as gently as i could. Saved everything some how. I had the slider covers on and they saved that.

ANyway, it happens to all of us. just part of it. Honestly, i was glad to get a scratch on my R, now i dont have to worry as much about it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.