Triumph 675 Forums banner

Still ride with a recall?

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mattman 
#1 ·
Hi all,

So I got around and called my
Triumph dealer about my 07 Daytona. Turns out I have 2 recalls that are outstanding. 1. The r/r issue that's plagued everyone and 2. A fuel pump relay/issue blah blah ... Dealer told me it'd be about a week before they can get parts and the warranty 'ok' from Triumph... Kinda sucks, but whatever.

Is there anything else I should ask the dealer to look at? Bike has 2600 miles and the previous owner didn't have any records of service...

Lastly, would you guys think it would be ok to continue riding the bike until I drop it off at the shop in about a week, or should I just park it until then?

Thanks for any input.
-Matt

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#4 ·
It'll be fine to ride, these are not safety recalls (those you have to watch out for)
The R/R IS in fact a safety recall. I received a letter direct from Triumph about three weeks ago and the heading at the top of the page, in bold capital letters reads: IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL RM2012/019. We've all known about the R/R issue for years. Some people have changed the R/R themselves, some have had the bike conk out whilst riding, which is potentially dangerous, whilst others have had no issues at all. My dealer says the recall doesn't affect all the VIN's listed, but some within that range. Personally I'm not inclined to believe that.

The relay for the fuel pump is a service item (Service Bulletin 384) and should have been installed by the dealer when completing a service. However as the OP says his bike has no service history, then that's probably why it's not been done. It wasn't done on either of my 2006 Daytonas, but that was probably because my dealer didn't even know about it until I told him! I wasn't impressed.

I believe the fuel pump relay needs to be fitted to prevent the ECU getting fried by owners turning off the motors using the kill switch.

#5 ·
Without the fuel pump relay it could take out the ECU and Triumph isn't necessarily replacing those any more because of people not getting the relay replacement.
If that is true MacBandit, then that doesn't sound fair as the relay is only a service item, which an owner would not have been warned about. Surely if it doesn't get fitted it's because the dealer didn't do it at service time (as was the case with both my 2006 Daytonas), then it's the dealer who should pay for any damage caused?

#10 ·
R/Rs tend to fry when it's a hot day, and the fuel pump tends to fry the ECU when using the killswitch, so you know what to avoid ;)

#11 ·
Thanks for the info! I've had a couple bad experiences with A&S ordering parts for me(waited 3 months for a rear brake pedal before calling it quits and just finding one myself). Let me know how your experience goes @ A&S with this recall and I'd be willing to give them a shot again.
My R/R has taken a crap once before and took the stator and a battery with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.