Triumph 675 Forums banner

Custom Built Full Exhaust On The Cheap

59K views 170 replies 61 participants last post by  up.left 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been wanting to do this for about a year now. I finally sold my Tyga setup a to fund this project. I also found the slip on slightly used on ebay for hella cheap compared to what they go for new. It's full stainless steel and TIG welded by a buddy of mine. My old roommate(I moved last weekend) Paul helped me with this project. He has built some very impressive stuff for his 99 Eclipse GSX so with his help this project was a pretty easy and cheap. I started with a stock header and this time around I wanted to not only get rid of the cat and exup like the last exhaust, but also the stock merge collector. I bought a 3-1 true merge collector kit from Cone Engineering. The kit in SS was very nice quality and only $41 bucks. I also got the merge bullets and tool to hold them in place when welding. It was just over $50 shipped. I emailed/called Rich @ Cone a few times and he was extremely helpful and I would recommend their stuff to anyone. On to the pictures!

Here is where we cut the stock header

The stock merge sucks

Turbo stars held in place by the tool they sell

We tacked it up with the MIG welder then brought everything to be TIG welded by a friend

Fully TIG'ed and mocked up

Roommate grinding away

Finished product

Installed on bike, fairing was not completely mounted back up and I ended up taking just a little more off the fairing for fitment but you get the idea. I moved last Saturday so unfortunately I have not had much time at all to mess with my bike.

I'm very happy with the finished project. It has a very low rumble at idle and really screams at wide open throttle. It's a lot quiter than my old Tyga setup. I will post up vids as soon as I remember which box I put my camera in. We also cut out a little bracket piece out of aluminum that uses one of the rear set bolts to help support it. Look's pretty trick and worked out great!

See less See more
#100 ·
I had two Shorty exhausts, and both were crazy loud....they sounded good, but just too obnoxious after a while.

I plan on trying the cast bullet on the Daytona collector. The bullets are a pita to weld/grind.

#102 ·
Sure is. That's my old roommates pride and joy. He can fabricate about anything. Here's the car in beast mode:

And here is what was under the hood. He's building an even more bad ass compound turbo setup for it as we speak. Twin disk clutch, meth injection, etc etc.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/336541-my-compound-turbo-set-up.html

This was a conservative tune, 4th gear pull since he was losing traction in 3rd. His car is AWD but the closest AWD dyno is a long ways away so he had to settle for dyno'ing it in FWD. It spools insanely quick.

#105 ·
I'm going to go ahead and bump this thread a lot of people seem to be interested in doing this mod me for one. I already have my merge collector now I'm at the point in deciding which exhaust I want to do.. I want to run a shorty pref not having to cut fairings... Which bike/year works best... Gsxr? R6? Thanks a lot

#106 ·
Having read through this and abc's 2 bros exhaust thread i am really hoping that cone engineering will be able to ship this to Australia for me. i am in need of a new slip on and may as well do this at the same time. I have no idea bout welding etc etc but im sure i can find someone not to exspensvie to do it for me.

#111 ·
I had it dialed in pretty damn good just using Tuneboy and making changes myself and testing it over and over. Never had the time to get it on a dyno or I'm sure I could have gotten it a lot better. I had all the flat spots worked out though. Next setup I build I will definitely have it dyno tuned.

#113 ·
Unfortunately, not any good high res ones of the exhaust side. Got some of the other side though. I parted that bike out awhile back after spinning bearings in 2 different engines. I've got an 08 SE now and I'm going to be building another header/low mount exhaust here pretty soon.

#115 ·
Just ordered my stock header today. Going to make this a good winter project but have some questions. I am planning on getting a coneeng collecter and putting that on and just welding in some SS pipe to get rid of the cat and run that on my comp werks undertail exhaust... but here are my questions.

A) What if I kept in the o2 sensor? would it help the idling problems you guys were having and/or help performance at all?

B) If I were to keep in the exup in that should keep the volume down at idle right but would it be worth the fab work to integrate it into the SS pipe ? also if I did this (keep the exup) would it take away most of the performance gains?

#116 ·
Just ordered my stock header today. Going to make this a good winter project but have some questions. I am planning on getting a coneeng collecter and putting that on and just welding in some SS pipe to get rid of the cat and run that on my comp werks undertail exhaust... but here are my questions.

A) What if I kept in the o2 sensor? would it help the idling problems you guys were having and/or help performance at all?

B) If I were to keep in the exup in that should keep the volume down at idle right but would it be worth the fab work to integrate it into the SS pipe ? also if I did this (keep the exup) would it take away most of the performance gains?
A) I removed mine since the exhaust is so short, but with you having an undertail I would probably keep the o2 and have them weld in a bung for it. With such a short exhaust the readings it was getting were not accurate.

B) Don't under any circumstances, keep the exup. :laugh::nod::cool2:

#121 ·
Is it not possible to just cut the stock header right after the 3-2-1 merge? Instead of having to do the merge yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
IMO, if you're already doing the work to remove the exup, might as well get rid of the stock collector as well. Look at the 2nd pic in my original post, any true 3-1 collector is going to out flow that. It helps too if you have fabrication skillz, it cuts down on the cost you have to pay others to cut/fit/weld. But even if you have to pay someone to do it, I know of others who have had this done for around $100 bucks plus parts, which really isn't too bad.

#127 ·
I am doing a custom side exhaust for my street fighter - the pipe will be fairly short so wouldn't the bad flow help cause a little back pressure that it'll be lacking otherwise?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
I can't see bad flow helping anything. Even when you buy a full shorty exhaust like a Zard for example, they all use true merge collectors.

#130 · (Edited)
Just got mine done today, was about a 5 hour job with the help of my buddy Kevin. I had the bike dynoed on Thursday with just the Akra slip and will be going back this next Thursday to see if anything was gained.

A few pics

What your cutting out

A few of the steps

#131 ·
Wow Jr this picture sure shows you why you'd want to do this mod.

There is no way that is not a huge restriction. Considering that your bike has all of maybe 1500 miles on it that CAT sure is plugged up. Be interesting to see what the dyno says next Thursday.

Just need to decide if we're going to go the Tune ECU route or with a Bazzaz with the quick shifter. If we go with the Tunce ECU this map will be our baseline. If we can get the same kind of gains that Dave got here we'd be thrilled.

2006 Daytona 675
Up To VIN # 294377
Custom 2" exhaust with straight through can, modified collector on stock headers.
Flapper removed
Air box opened up with de-screened stock filter.
No EXUP
No CAT
No O2 sensor
No SAI
Based off Full Arrow tune 20417

Dyno graph shows a comparison from stock.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.