Triumph 675 Forums banner

fighting hearing damage on my shoei RF1100: silencing the noise

2K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  TriumphChris675 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

just posted a very long thread on the other triumph forum about protecting against hearing loss, with some very practical tips.

I hope you check it out since I experienced the effects of loud noise first hand.
Interested in the full story, read it here, else here is the
executive summary for the impatient ones
  • shoei leather chin curtain + (15 euro)
  • shoei neck collar +++ (don't know about 35 I think)
  • foam plugs in venting channels ++ (had them)
  • dynamat coating on cheeck and ear area ++ (dynamat two pieces of 30cmx30cm 20 euro)
  • using uvex x-fit 37dB noise reduction foam plugs instead of custom fitted ones (cheaper too) ++ (200 pairs, 32 euro)
  • no bluetooth communication/mp3 system ++ (just god rid of my 200+ euro helmet sound system will put it on again come summertime)
  • ride a naked bike, they don't have turbulence because of screens + (mucho expensive)
  • sound absorbing foam against the ears ++++ (8 euro for 3 square meters, I could provide the whole forum with that)

enjoy: http://www.triumphrat.net/biker-han...e-on-my-shoei-rf1100-silencing-the-noise.html

See less See more
#2 ·
I wear the quality brands of disposable ones right now, Hearos and 3M make some quality disposable ear plugs that I like and use. But ill be going to a buddies house soon to have a set of custom earplugs molded for me.

I can't ride the track without them. I rodeone session without them a few weeks ago, and I just couldn't concentrate, its like riding the street without a jacket. You feel naked.

#4 ·
I use re-usable earplugs designed for the firearms range...they are even more effective than foam plugs and are quite comfortable. They have a hollow channel that somehow still allows you to hear the outside world while keeping the high decibel noises at bay. I have used the same pair for over over fifteen years! They look similar to the attached...about $50 at shooter supply stores or on-line...

Attachments

#5 ·
I just used 3M foamies myself, I was issued earplugs like those above in the military and they didn't really seem to do the trick for me but I have really weird ears. I had to spend mega bucks on headphones for when I workout at the gym because they had to have the rubber that wraps around your ears otherwise the in ear buds would always fall out.

Stock exhaust without earplugs isn't bad but when you have a full race exhaust screaming it's quite different lol.

#6 ·
Why would you have to spend mega bucks on headphones lol there are a ton of headphones made to wrap around the ear. I spend a lot on most of my audio stuff because I love music, but just use cheap Sony earbuds for riding and working out in and they have lasted a few years now. Plus they sound great surprisingly, though I have never seen them on shelves since I bought them. Dont even know the name of them since the writing has worn off.

For earplugs I just buy the big bucket from walmart, they work great for my ears, but I have a smaller ear.

#7 ·
I use Custom moulded ones.
you still hear the engine and noise around you.
You still hear the wind noise but it way lower then before. Happy with them

#8 ·
who rides without ear plugs???? in the rare event i forgot to put them in, ill pull over. no way i can ride without them.

#9 ·
I have a pair of Shure SE425 In-Ear monitors and they work wonders even without music. Can hear the bike and traffic but it mutes a lot of the white noise. The less expensive SE215s work just as well for significantly less money.

~Ex

#11 ·
we have several extensive threads on ear plugs in the general forum and riding gear already.

#12 ·
I actually don't use ear plugs at all. I spent a good bit of time modding my helmet to fit my ears snugly so I wouldn't need them. I have noise deadening material throughout the helmet. I also put sound deadening foam where my ears go. So the foam pushes against my ears. I glued them into the helmet so no need for plugs. I hate having things in my ears. Works pretty good and you can't tell. total cost was around $26 for sound deadening material and foam. Spent a good 4 hours getting it right. It did add an extra almost 2 pounds to the helmet.

#15 · (Edited)
Anyone have recommendations on quality reusable ear plugs?

I'm getting tired of using the disposable foam ones.
These are the ones I used to use. They are not cheap, but well worth the money. I lost one last season, and have been using foam ones ever since. This thread just reminded me to order a new pair, so thanks for that.

You pick the one you want (I use the motorcycle ones, but you might pick a different one if you need them for other things). They send you a mould kit in the mail, and when you return the kit, they send you a pair that fits perfectly. They are well worth the money if you love your ears as much as I.

This time I'm going to get the "Model 47" plugs. The Motorcycle plugs were good for the street, but the track is a little too loud for them.

Check them out: http://site.earplugstore.com/custom.htm

#19 ·
anything above 32dbs will protect you very well. dont go with the lesser ones like the 26dbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.