Triumph 675 Forums banner

street triple mpg?

15K views 40 replies 36 participants last post by  tp555 
#1 ·
A friend of mine is thinking about getting a street triple and wants to know what kind of mileage they get. So what is everybody averaging?

#11 ·
I did about 120mi yesterday and did 45.6, much of it was a pretty steady 60mph. I am still breaking it in, so I was pretty easy on it.

#15 ·
This is the record I kept when I got my Striple. I don't ride too aggressively but it's not continuous steady speed stuff either.

clop
I ride a Daytona so I should probably just keep my nose out....but 2 things I have noticed, clop...

1) Man, you keep thorough records!

2) HOLY COW you get some range out of that thing! I seldom see more than 200 kilometres before the low fuel light comes on, and often less than that.

O.B

#16 ·
the brit gallon is 20 percent more fuel than a us gal-so if you get 50 mpg Brit style you're getting 40 mpg US

I get better gas milage from my '02 carburated FZ1-noting that it is 1000cc and produces 150 rwhp-it kind of bites that the fuel injected Triple is usually about 2 mpg on average lower-both bike are modded the Triple has the arrowfull w/Triumph map-about 45 with my honey driving and about 38 mpg with me on average- my fZ may go as low as 36 and as high as 48.5 with jetkit and full exhaust system-I still think carbs are great-the FZ is far more fuel efficient but isn't the fun the triple is to ride on a curvy back road.

#17 ·
the brit gallon is 20 percent more fuel than a us gal-so if you get 50 mpg Brit style you're getting 40 mpg US
08 Striple. Arrows Lowboy and map.
48.2 UK Mpg over an 87.7 mile round road trip- mixed roads including quite a lot of 30,40, and 50 MPH limits and some motorway/ dual carriageway roads. Brisk pace didn't see many police or speed traps.
I'm happy at that.

#20 ·
I have been averaging 39mpg commuting to-and-from work. At every fill-up, I calculate my mpg by dividing current miles on my 2nd trip meter into the number of gallons I place in the tank so am pretty confident that my estimates are as accurate as the odometer on my bike.

Stats:
purchased new in November.

95% plus of my 2000 miles have been commuting to-and-from work. Hopefully with good weather I can skew that percentage. :cool:

If this bike is like my last bike the mpg should improve as the engine loosens up a bit. My Speedmaster avg'd in the low 50's; however the first 5k it was in the low-to-mid 40's. My first few tanks of gas it averaged in the upper 30's, if I remember correctly.

Hopefully that helps.

#21 · (Edited)
I did 356 miles on my R this weekend and averaged 48.0mpg US on the dot. It was a wide variety of some traffic, highway, curvy roads, and even a stint on the turnpike.

#24 ·
Is something wrong with my bike

Hi there,
I am a new owner of a 2011 Street triple which has only done 3000 miles..
I was surprised when my fuel light came on after only 90 miles, especially as the tank holds almost 5 litres more than my old SV which did a good 120 miles before the light came on.

I turned the computer on the mpg mode, and I only seem to be doing 32/33mpg (UK gallons),compared to everyone else who is doing in their 40s... (and this is in in US Gallons, so are probably doing more) I am doing mainly 10 miles urban commuting... I get her into 6th quite regularly and don't ride hard at all.

Is there something wrong with my bike.?? Seems to run ok, wondering if i have a fuelling issue.. although bike is smooth.

#25 ·
Hi there,
I am a new owner of a 2011 Street triple which has only done 3000 miles..
I was surprised when my fuel light came on after only 90 miles, especially as the tank holds almost 5 litres more than my old SV which did a good 120 miles before the light came on.

I turned the computer on the mpg mode, and I only seem to be doing 32/33mpg (UK gallons),compared to everyone else who is doing in their 40s... (and this is in in US Gallons, so are probably doing more) I am doing mainly 10 miles urban commuting... I get her into 6th quite regularly and don't ride hard at all.

Is there something wrong with my bike.?? Seems to run ok, wondering if i have a fuelling issue.. although bike is smooth.
May want to check the map. But really it's all in the wrist. My normal ride into work at 11pm I average about 26 US MPG, my ride 800 miles 2 up with overnight gear I got about 40 US MPG through Vermont which isn't exactly flat. :whistle:

A lot of the US guys never change the computers over to the US MPG so they always think they are getting better MPG so take threads like this with a grain of salt.

I know the two gauge clusters I've had on my bike I've had to change to US from the UK settings. This thread talks about it. 60 MPG!!! (not) - Triumph675.Net Forums

#28 ·
UK-US Gallons: does anybody know if by chance, the bikes sold on the US would like have the mpg fuel gauge still indicating UK mpg?

The reason I am saying that is that when I look at my on board computer, it is always 8-9 mpg higher than what I divide manually the miles by the number of gals I am filling up with.

Any comments on that?

#35 ·
I've found the lower the rpm the better mileage. 4-5k is fine but the acceleration won't be there in the higher gears if you want it, but that doesn't matter when you're just cruising. Prob can't shift much lower than 4k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.