Triumph 675 Forums banner

Intersting fuse issue

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DaarkSide 
#1 ·
I put on the Melotti kit for the lic plate, and found out that the 5A fuse is blowing, but a 10A fuse is not. The interesting part is that as best as I can figure out that the 5A only is used for the lic plate light.

All the other lighting works just fine, with or with out the fuse except the lic plate light.

Could the LED lights on for the lic plate be creating the surge since the resistance is so much lower?

I am at a bit of a loss...

#2 ·
Is everything functioning correctly with a 10 amp?

It could be that, if the leds are not rated to the amount of current running through it is possible that they will overload and cause the fuse to blow.

You can check by using a voltmeter to check the amps on the negative wire after it has gone through the leds.

But check all connections too. You may have a loose connection somewhere and they might just touch for a sec. But a 10 amp fuse may not blow because the resistance in the whole part of that wiring harness may be under 10 amps.

Voltmeters are you friend.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Motorcycle.com App

#4 ·
Every thing is running fine. The leads are all soldered using the factory plug to connect tot he harness..

I will look for a volt drop and do an ohm check. After talking to one of the guys from the dealer they agree with me that the LEDs dont have enough resistance in the unit. Sadly I dont have the spec so I will have to test the bulb in the stock piece and compare the results.

I do have a DVOM and do use it a lot. LOL That is how I found out the fuse was blown by tracing down the loss of power on the circut.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.