Triumph 675 Forums banner

hidden heated grip switch

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Hokie 
#1 · (Edited)
I've learned a lot from this forum so here's my first contribution.

I 'm really uptight about drilling holes in my bikes and I want things to look clean. this is my solution for mounting the grip heater switch. I could have put it next to the gauge cluster but I liked this better. I put it between the seat and sub frame on the right hand side. the starter relay and differences in the plastic, prevented my from using the left hand side.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#4 ·
As much as I switch from low to high and on and off that would be really inconvenient. i put a switch in my left combination switch housing down below the turn signal switch. It barely noticeable. I'm with you though I hate drilling my bike or making any changes that are permanent. That said I'm doing away with that and going to a switch that bolts on to the clutch perch.

I picked up a Heat Demon kit over summer for $60 and it has the switch. I really like this kit because the Heat Demon warmers have two different heating elements built into the warmer you wrap around the bar. So there is a smaller element for low temp and a second element for medium and both are used for high. So no resistor needed.

Attachments

#5 ·
thanks noclue.

i got the warmers from cycle gear. they were/are $20 on sale. trackside brand i think.

it's not too difficult to reach. i can toggle the switch while i ride. although not as convienant as a switch on the bars.

that switch looks cool and appears to be a rheostat. that beats having just the high low option.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#9 ·
Good timing. I actually finally got around to installing these yesterday. Short answer yes they work as long as the bars are hollow. The end of the bar is not important as long as you get the correct kit. They make a kit that puts a metal warmer plug inside the bar and they make a kit that wraps around the outside like most kits. The outside wraps are the ones you want. Something I discovered during installation this kit has a single warmer element but the switch is a controller with 4 heat settings. Still no resistor to install though so no worries about heat generation. The cheaper kit without the controller uses two separate elements for hi/low but the more expensive kit has for levels with one large element.

As for installation you have to drill a hole for the wires of the controller as they come out the back then go through the bar and back out where ever you want them to but close to the handlebar clamps. If you use them don't drill a hole as big as they ask you to it's ridiculously huge. Just drill a hole just large enough for the controller to sit flush on the bar which is about half the size they suggested.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.