Triumph 675 Forums banner

Rough idle and various electric problems FIX!

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  spargett 
#1 ·
So this has happened to me twice in 10 thousand miles and it made me angry both times so i just thought I would share. The basic problem is a rough idle with the bike even threatening to die every now and then. This latest time it was accompanied by a flickering back light on the instrument cluster and a blinker that would occasionally blink fast as if one of the bulbs was out but upon inspection both front and rear are working. These problems weren't really an issue once the bike gets going. Naturally I was worried and feared an r/r or another electrical issue. This may be an obvious fix to an experienced mechanic but all I had to do was tighten both battery cables! I felt like such an idiot when I turned the screwdriver a fraction of an inch and that was all I had to do. So if you have a similar problem please please please don't immediately go out and buy a new stator or r/r or even take it to a dealer. Just tighten the battery cables! If anyone has any other advice or wants to call me stupid for not knowing this feel free, but I thought I could save some time for some people who overlooked this simple fix like I did.

#2 ·
Glad it wasn't the R/R! Good advice! Many may not think twice and take it to their Triumph dealer.. always good to troubleshoot! I'm in the KC area, enjoy having your Daytona while everyone else puts +10 tooth rear sprockets on their 636 and f4i's and wheelies them down the highway! Absolutely bonkers..

Ride on

#3 ·
Just had this exact problem happen to me on a ride out. I also had problems getting it started (power would cut out when I pressed the starter and fuel pump priming started up again.)

a google search turned up this thread and a quick examination under the seat turned up a loose terminal screw.

I too was immediately thinking of thing much worse!

Thanks for posting!

#4 ·
I have the same problems, but just checked the terminals. Both rock solid. Just wanted to share that it isn't always the case. In regards to the instrument panel flickering, mine was more of a subtle pulsing than any sort of on/off action.

I'm suspecting the Idle Stepper Motor either needing calibration or replacement.

#5 ·
I have a similar problem....already had the R/R replaced about two months ago. When i start the bike it will start on the second try, then when I am out cruising it is fine. Then when I stop at a red light or stop sign in 1st gear, he bike idles very rough and below 1k RPM's until it eventually shuts off. The instrument panel flickers and the gas light flickers. Similiar to what happened with you? Thinking about just taking it in anyway. please let me know

#6 ·
Sounds electrical to me. I'd check your battery connections, and battery level. My problem was a failed alarm unit that was sucking voltage intermittently. As soon as I removed it, problem solved. Could be your R/R though, did they replace it with the upgraded version per the soft recall?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.