Triumph 675 Forums banner

Towing PNO Track Bike

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
Question for you guys. My coworker said that it is not legal to even tow a vehicle that has a PNO registration on the road. He said for things such as dirtbikes, you need a "green sticker." My question is, for legal purposes, if you had a track-only bike, is it actually legal to trailer it to the track with a PNO registration? I did a search on the web and on the site for this, but didn't get any hits that were more than a "I think....." The only other thing I read was that you can trailer it with a PNO reg, but you just cannot tow a vehicle (such as a car, with the car's wheels on the ground and not using a trailer). Does anyone know for sure the laws regarding this. I know what most people do, I am just wondering the formal laws regarding this. IF I missed the link on this during my search just let me know.

#2 ·
It's legal to transport your bike on a trailer with a PNO reg, but technically it's not even legal to ride it on the track because you're still operating it and racking up miles. If a cop pulls you over and sees the PNO reg but that it's in your name, there's no issue, but if you ever plan on putting it back on the road and the DMV sees your odo has gone up, you're screwed.

If you want to do it all legally, you need to either get valid on-road registration for your bike, or get it registered as an OHV. I usually kept my track bikes street legal so I never had to go through the hassle of getting a former OHV plated when I was ready to sell. The exception is my current race bike, which I don't even own the title for, just a bill of sale to show police if I get pulled over. That's pretty common too.

#3 ·
Is this for California? If the cop pulls you over asking for registration for the bike on a trailer or bed of a truck, advise him or her that under CVC 4009, "a vehicle transported upon a highway, no part of which is contact with the highway, is exempt from registration."

I got pulled over and when I sited that he immediately shut up. He then said I need to find out if any of the bikes are stolen. I advised him to then run the VINs to see if they're hot. Of course they were okay and he let us go.

#4 ·
I am considering buying a strictly track bike. The registration and title are both good, but the reg is a PNO. It will never be a street-legal bike again, at least not while I own it (if I end up being able to get it). So, I am not worried about anything re-registering it later as a street bike again or anything. I was just wondering about trailering it with a PNO reg. I was pretty sure it was fine, but wanted to double check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.