Triumph 675 Forums banner

Bike not cranking.

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 · (Edited)
fixing a bike for a friend who laid the bike down and most of the top front end was banged up.

Blue starter relay has been tested.
Batter fully charged reads 12.4 w/o charger on it.
starter works and turns the engine I jumped it.

when i turn the key the fuel pump primes, the exhaust valve cycles, gauges cycles, etc... when i go to start the bike it just clicks at the relay.

the 30 amp fuse at the solenoid under the seat is good as well and all fuses in the fuse panel.

the bikes doenst have any of the headlights, turn signals, or brake lights hooked up.

#8 ·
the clutch switch works because with clutch out it was not clicking at all at the relay, clutch in the start relay clicks.

I tired starting the bike with kickstand up or down, no change it just clicks.

i tried starting the bike with or without the tip sensor and it still did the same thing.

I moved the bike through the gears a few times, I havent tried to start it in gear, only neutral.

we had the battery out for well over 20 minutes charging while we were looking at other things.

umm the entire front end above the fender was all torn apart there is no air intake, or any fairings. we just have the gauge cluster hanging on the handlebars, and the tip sensor in the up position mounted on the brake reservoir. we are going to turn it in to a street fighter i believe.

the bike basically slid into a tree and tore the whole front end up above the fender.

#9 ·
20 minutes is a ridiculously short time to charge a weakened battery, unless you're using too much current, which will weaken it even more :whistle:

A night is the bare minimum, 48 hours tops.

#10 ·
we charged it earlier that week overnight, after jumpering the starter we decided to charge it more after we took it out. the battery was reading around 12.4 after taking it off the charger which said it was fully charged and i used my volt meter to verify.

#13 ·
Just take battery out, wait more then 20 min, I waited like 4hrs. Walk away before u guys get to frustrated with it. Start up on it tomorrow, gets to yah watchen and looken over a bike u just crashed and it won't *****n start.
Sent from my X10a using Motorcycle.com Free App

#16 ·
fixing a bike for a friend who laid the bike down and most of the top front end was banged up.

Blue starter relay has been tested.
Batter fully charged reads 12.4 w/o charger on it.
Although the battery may read enough volts it may not have enough amps. I had the same situation with one of my batteries. Bought a new battery and all worked fine. How old is the bike/battery?

As an aside does it qualify for a new R/R under the recall? Worth getting that sorted if you haven't already, unless it's not eligible

#17 ·
Did you check all the fuses? In particular the headlight fuse. Ive seen where something as simple as a blown headlight fuse was causing a no start. If that all checks out you can try to check for voltage on the start solenoid. Should have a constant on one side and a switch power on the other. Considering the relay is clicking I would assume thats working properly.

#18 ·
I used the battery in the bike to jumper the starte. i connected a jumper cable to a scrwe driver and touched the main wire going to the starter than touched the postivie side of the battery.

umm we took our the headlighs, turn signals, and break lights, do to all either missing, cracked, or scuffed.

no clue on the R/R recall, the bike is an 07 and has i think 5700 miles, the bike road fine before the accident.

the fuses are good, and I believe I left them all in for the headlights.

we even tried connecting a jumper pack on the battery and tried to start it that way and it just clicked still.

He is getting the battery load tested at a store and will get back to me this week.

#20 ·
well he is getting the battery tested anyway.

the solenoid I will check somehow this weekend. I need to printout the wiring diagram for the starting system and do some ground test.

but basically if the fuel pump is priming, guages cycling, exhaust valvue cycles, etc....clutch switch works, in neutral, sidestand down, then the bike should be able to crank if it is able to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.