Triumph 675 Forums banner

My 1st crash tonight LOL..

6K views 34 replies 25 participants last post by  purpletriumph 
#1 ·
Not really funny obviously, but all you can do is laugh about it, right? I was at a light making a left turn. I take off, start my turn and all I remember is laying on my back and cars honking at me. I wasn't being an idiot or trying to show off or anything. Adrenaline was pumping as I was facing the sky, ran over to my bike and holy F$%# its heavy to lift by yourself LOL.

I'd like to give thanks to my Sato frame sliders for taking the brunt of the damage. I ended up snapping my mirror off, bent shift lever, spilled coolant everywhere, messed up clutch lever, bar end, busted rear fairing and a nice 2 tone stator cover. As far as myself, thanks A*s jacket!!! , my jeans now have a breathable hole in them and my leg is missing a chunk of flesh haha. Dunno what happened to my right knee but can't put any weight on it lol.

If anyone has a spare left side mirror assembly, rear scorched yellow fairing for an 07 Daytona I'd be willing to take them off your hands :)

Sorry for the long post, Captain Morgan is keeping me company tonight from my crap-tastic day!!! :biggrinjester:

#3 ·
You're EXACTLY right about the conditions. Damn you Cpt Morgan LOL, forgot to put that in the original post...

It was like 38 degrees I was just heading home from dinner. As soon as I came about my senses, a cop flipped a U turn and stopped traffic so I could go retrieve my busted pieces. Pretty embarrassing to say the least. Just gave another reason to cagers to believe that we are stupid and careless. Sorry guys :(

#5 ·
Not really funny obviously, but all you can do is laugh about it, right? I was at a light making a left turn. I take off, start my turn and all I remember is laying on my back and cars honking at me. I wasn't being an idiot or trying to show off or anything. Adrenaline was pumping as I was facing the sky, ran over to my bike and holy F$%# its heavy to lift by yourself LOL.

I'd like to give thanks to my Sato frame sliders for taking the brunt of the damage. I ended up snapping my mirror off, bent shift lever, spilled coolant everywhere, messed up clutch lever, bar end, busted rear fairing and a nice 2 tone stator cover. As far as myself, thanks A*s jacket!!! , my jeans now have a breathable hole in them and my leg is missing a chunk of flesh haha. Dunno what happened to my right knee but can't put any weight on it lol.

If anyone has a spare left side mirror assembly, rear scorched yellow fairing for an 07 Daytona I'd be willing to take them off your hands :)

Sorry for the long post, Captain Morgan is keeping me company tonight from my crap-tastic day!!! :biggrinjester:
Damn that sux man. I did the same thing some years ago on my 636, 2 days after I got it! Was cold and shitty out in the middle of February but insisted on takin it for a ride..... Glad to hear its just minor flesh wounds though..

#6 ·
Well glad to know you are for the most part OK, a little roughed up no doubt but nothing that time won't heal.
I'm gathering that your tires slipped out and there wasn't any other vehicle involved in the crash.
I ride in the cooler temps as well, and it is a whole new ballgame, tires, suspension, lean angles.....
My rule of thumb is not to go more the 10-15 mph over the temp. ( in F)
38F max mph 53mph.

#9 ·
This does not make sense, unless your tire ran over a patch of ice, oil or water spot. The bike just does not "get away" from you at super-slow speed for no good reason. Can't blame this on a cold road or tire, you were not moving that fast, lol.

Glad to hear you didn't suffer too much damage, hope the knee fares well! :thumbup:

#18 ·
This does not make sense, unless your tire ran over a patch of ice, oil or water spot. The bike just does not "get away" from you at super-slow speed for no good reason. Can't blame this on a cold road or tire, you were not moving that fast, lol.

Glad to hear you didn't suffer too much damage, hope the knee fares well! :thumbup:
To much lean angle with cold tires - ask me how I know. Same thing happened to me coming out of my driveway on my Husky 510SMR. If the tires are cold and the contact surface area is lowered enough while turning, they will lose their grip and the bike will slide out. When it happened to me I was going maybe 8mph and had just wheeled the bike out of the garage. I took the turn out of my driveway (dry road, maybe 40* F outside) at the same lean angle and trajectory as I have done hundreds of times in the past, and the tires simply lost traction. :duh: Now I take turns slowly and much more upright until my tires are warmed up sufficiently and have not had a problem since.

I was using Contiforce SM tires that were about 80% so it was definitely due to the fact that they had not softened up yet.

#10 ·
Yeah I agree Neander everyone always blames an outside source, it was most likely lack on knowledge and doing something improper. I dont care how cold it is, I have ridden in 20 degree weather and no issues with sliding as long as you are not gunning it right away.

#13 ·
What he said :iagree:
I've ridden in the low 30's a few times, even riding a little spirited (not all out aggressive) and never had a tire slippage issue related to temps.
Any chance there was some gravel or oil at the intersection?

#14 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to me too...now I wear mtb knee and shin guards...best $25 I spent. Went down on the street (same situation) with them on...they did its job and the only thing hurt that day was my pride

#15 ·
hood aramid jeans for the win! idk why so many people wear jackets but not protective pants/boots. anyway, glad you made it mostly unharmed.

#16 ·
Glad ur ok. Can't see you going down unless you gave it too much throttle, breaking the rear wheel free, while leaning for a turn. If that is what happened, the accident will be over before you realize that their was an accident. sounds exactly what happened to you. Live and learn. P.S. A low side is always better than a high side.

#20 ·
Doah! I thought you were in Roseville, Sydney, Australia...and was about to give you a deserved mouthful of ineptitude - it is summer here! lol

My understanding is that US car driver's attitude to bikes is the same as Australian car driver's - biker scum, give the biker in need a "horn full".

I lived in the UK for 6 years - drivers would have left their cars to assist you...

#21 ·
Please buy riding overpants with some armor, and good luck repairing your ride. 38 degrees on weather.com can be below freezing when you dip into a microclimate or cross a bridge. Are you on stock tires? Pretty much all tires meant for this bike will take a good while to warm tires to sticky in that cold. Glad you came out without a major injury.

I corner like a puss after a friend wiped out on a touch of sand in a busy intersection years ago when I was first learning to ride. Now I assume it's there (or coolant or oil) and minimize my lean angle and need for tire to hookup. I think racers (not me) recognize this difference between known surface and random road, too, and are often wise enough to not corner like a stud on the street (not accusing you of that.). And then there's the knee draggers on Palomar. Some guy killed himself a few miles from my house in Fallbrook last week when he ran out of talent and hit a car head on in Deluz. But I digress. Did I mention you need riding pants?:nod:

#23 ·
I corner like a puss after a friend wiped out on a touch of sand in a busy intersection years ago Did I mention you need riding pants?:nod:
most intersections are full of salt, sand and gravel, not places for knee dragging. +1 on the gear.

#25 ·
The ones in NC just drive around you, at least they honked. I was laying on the road at night in the rain. And i specifically remember seeing headlights going by me while i laid there.

#26 ·
Just to clear things up, I wasn't JUST blaming the elements for my low side. Im saying it was more than likely a factor though. I probably was on the throttle a smidge too early, I didn't take the turn any different than I always do which was a mistake in this situation. It's all good though, I take the responsibility and I wasnt looking for any pity lol. Just a learning opportunity for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#27 ·
Just to clear things up, I wasn't JUST blaming the elements for my low side. Im saying it was more than likely a factor though. I probably was on the throttle a smidge too early, I didn't take the turn any different than I always do which was a mistake in this situation. It's all good though, I take the responsibility and I wasnt looking for any pity lol. Just a learning opportunity for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App
As a CARDINALS fan - it's only fair I give you a hard time. :laugh: Hope all ends up well for you though.

#28 ·
live and learn. now you know not to do. whatever it was that you did then. Now you just got to figure out what that was. Take it back out, romp it and this time put some stank on it and see how that goes. whats the worst that could happen? :yeehaw:

warning: do not do what I just reccommended

#29 ·
If you change your banner to Cincinnati Reds that won't happen to you... it's a fact! Haha glad you're alright!

#30 ·
Get that knee checked by someone competent, and by that, I mean not a mainstream MD, lol, osteo/etiopathy lead the way :thumbup:

Icon Automag FTW, their only good product ;)

And yep, intersections are littered with coolant, diesel fuel, gravel, sand, slippery tarmac joints and polished manhole covers, so you better get some heat in your tyres whenever you get the occasion.

#33 ·
Everyone wrecks sooner or later but pick yourself up, dust yourself off and give it another go! If you need front/rear axle sliders let me know. I will give you a good deal. Also on OEM Triumph parts. Fix it right back up like Christine & start again! The great ones lose a few times before they win. The losers quit & give up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.