Triumph 675 Forums banner

Flecks/grit in oil?

3K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Moeman 
#1 ·
Calling on the collective knowledge of the forum here....

I just dropped the oil out of my 12 street triple (6700km) and replaced with the same (penrite racing 10 10w-40) and as I was emptying the used oil into bottles I noticed a lot of grit and metallic flecks in the tray:
(the big dimple is in the tray, not a lump of something!)

So I'm asking, is this normal? It had its 1000km service mid Sept, and I don't ride it hard. I do do lots of short trips tho (hence changing the oil prior to service interval). I also didn't change the filter, but have one here that I'm thinking I should have used :/

Sent from my HTC One S using Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
A lot of the engine (not sure how much) wouldn't be magnetic I'd think? aren't they mostly aluminium and other alloys?

I remember seeing the same thing at roughly the same mileage so it may be normal, that was 10,000 kilometers ago for me and it's still going strong.

You might find sludge in your coolant overflow bottle too. not quite sure what causes this.

#4 ·
From my experience my oil is always dirty as shit, have not had an issue yet, but that being said its a 2012, if you think something is wrong take it to the dealer. You could have your dealer look at that oil and see what they think.

Also if that is your first oil change, I'd expect some of that nasty stuff to come out from the engine being put together and what not.

#5 ·
I ended up draining the oil out again and changing the filter, which is draining into a glass jar to take to the dealer. The new oil (with one 2 min warm up run) had flakes in it too. I'll take it back to the dealer for a look....hopefully I'm just being overly cautious :)

Sent from my HTC One S using Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
May be its residue from the earlier oil changes as you might have not drained every drop of the old oil from break ins for example completely so such flakes were left behind OR from an older unchanged oil filter that were inside the filter for quite some time but just came out with the current oil change .
Usually it's always a good practice to change the oil while the bike is slightly warm as that helps with the flow of oil and get anything and everything out of the motor . When you changed the oil before did you always change the oil filter as well or did not reason i am asking cause of what you stated that might also be a reason for the shavings they accumulated in the filter but just rolled out during this oil change I think you should be alright

#13 ·
Magnetic plug is going to be purchased. And to those who asked, its had one previous oil change change, and I don't know if they did the filter. And yes I warm the bike up (or do it when I get home from a ride).

And argh! It's mimicking my boyfriend! And it ate my cellphone! It's evil oil out to dominate the world! :p

#15 ·
A lot of the stuff in oil will not adhere to magnet. copper brass alumnium etc. A good oil filter should trap most filings. Personaly I use a hacksaw and cut my filter open to see what has been trapped. As Kegdale said it's probably normal wear. As far as the face in the pan, I feel quite sure it will disappear when you reinstal the pan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.