Triumph 675 Forums banner

Bitten by the track bug! Unfortunate ending 8(

4K views 33 replies 9 participants last post by  SeoulMan 
#1 ·
Did my first track day this past weekend at Jennings and what a blast! Everyone there at the track was really friendly and helpful. Here are some pics by the photographer.

I'd really like to get back out there soon and work on my body position, entry speeds, and reference point spotting. Any advice and criticism on my technique would be great. I was trying to keep my arms relaxed,use mainly my legs throughout the day, lay my outside arm on the tank, get one cheek off, and try and drop my inside elbow and shoulder.

Unfortunately my day was cut short in one of the last few sessions as I low-sided in turn 8. I thought I was hugging the rumble strips but one of the corner watchers said I ran it a little wide. There are minor scratches on the side fairing, cracked tail fairing, my asv lever is slightly bent, and the left rearset has been ripped off and the shift rod sheered off.

Waiting right now to see what parts will be on sale during TJ's pry your wallet open week but I'm hoping to get back out there once she's fixed in the coming weeks.

See less See more
#8 ·
I'd really like to get back out there soon and work on my body position, entry speeds, and reference point spotting. Any advice and criticism on my technique would be great. I was trying to keep my arms relaxed,use mainly my legs throughout the day, lay my outside arm on the tank, get one cheek off, and try and drop my inside elbow and shoulder.
That's a long laundry list to work on. This is the same advice you'll probably receive from any track rider:
Slow down and work on one thing at a time.

Work on reference points first. If your track org puts out entry/apex/exit markers then work using those, they never lead off the track. If not, work with your instructor (feel free to take them over...you paid the $$) by following them lap after lap using the correct line and try to spot any RPs you can. Use your peripheral vision to look for stuff. RPs is something that will improve with seat time on the track. Just SLOW DOWN! Because if you're going too fast and trying to work on BP, what will happen (worst case scenario but since you're a track newbie it's likely if you're going too fast):
- Ok, turn approaching.
- Need to downshift. Ok, clutch in, downshift, clutch out
- Ok, need to start braking, brake brake brake
- Ok, moving butt over, positioning legs right
- OH crap, was I supposed to turn back there?!?!

Next is body position. Don't worry about hanging off like Rossi. The keys are:
- Being able to lock your outside leg into the tank securely by locking the rearset into the heel or the ball of the foot.
- Shift the butt over a bit.
- Make sure you got about a fist distance between your balls and the tank
- Make sure that this is actually comfortable and when you shift the upper body out and lower body is the only thing supporting you, that your inner thigh is hugging the tank.
- Inside hand regrips the grip in a screwdriver fashion
- Which allows you to drop the inside elbow down without bending the wrist
- Kiss the mirror. Don't lead with your shoulders/torso. Lead with your inside elbow down, the rest will follow

Slow down. Work on one/two things at a time. You should not be in a hurry to move up into intermediate/advanced, leave your ego at the door and focus on learning instead, and have fun.

Look online at the Superbike School UK videos.

There are a lot of BP exercises there you can do at home on the stands.

#9 ·
One thing to add on the speed....it is possible to take a turn too slow and not be able to use proper technique on the turn without it being awkward. In addition to that just go at a speed to where you are comfortable enough to focus on what you are doing but fast enough to take the turn properly.

Pick up some riding books and read them, a lot of the books not only go over the technique but how it relates to the track and why it is used. That helps understand things a lot more rather then just having people tell you to do this do that and do it that way.

#12 ·
Absolutely true. And especially true of double apex turns where the instructors tell you to "lean once and just maintain the lean through the whole thing, without standing up, readjusting", and still want you to drift out. Those things will come with speed, but even slow pace repetitions are good for muscle memory, so you know where you're supposed to drift out to in this turn, and making your head/eyes scan constantly.

It may look stupid and awkward at slow pace, but repetition makes perfect. Every once in a while on a ride with gf I just lean off the bike to stretch in a turn...bike is standing upright, I'm hanging off to the side, bike's going through a sweeper without issues. Looks silly and unnecessary? Yes. Gotta maintain form :)

#10 ·
Thank you for the tips Red Oct. much appreciated will have to do the body exercises once I get more time after the holiday week. I will have to search a little more for cornering schools here in the south east seems like there aren't many left in this year. I'm all for finding more articles to read on cornering as well. I've read through TOTW 1 and 2 twice and taken notes to try get a better understanding of the science in cornering.

#11 ·
I went down on the last session of my first and only track day, i know how you feel man. Most important thing is to not dis-encouraged to try again. After my first time all i think about is going back....good luck with the repairs dude. If you dont find anything right now through TJ i have the stock shifter FS.

#16 ·
Sorry to hear you went down too on your first track day. I appreciate the offer on the parts from you and sittingturbo I will definitely send a PM if I need the shiftrod, had a lengthy phone call with TJ today and he has set me up with I believe all the parts I need to get my bike going again.

#18 ·
In conjunction with Red October's tips, if you make sure that you open your hips toward the turn, a lot of the things he talks about feel a lot more natural. My big issue that I've recently been rectifying is that I'd hang my ass off too far, which prevented me from opening my hips, which then completely messed up my upper body.

#20 ·
I was making an effort that day to open my hips into the turn, not sure exactly how well I achieved it haha. There was a youtube video I believe someone posted in the riding skills or media forum that had some drills from ridesmart I believe where they focused on the lower body set up into turns that I was practicing and trying to get a feel for. Again I think I need to find a cornering school down here in the southeast to attend.

#21 ·
Skool's cool, for sure. Then it's lots of practice. I started riding trackdays a little over a year ago, and did 4 levels of Cali Superbike School. It's only lately where I know what I am doing wrong in a given corner, instead of just "well, that felt like shit". True to the sage advice posted earlier, I've slowed down and work on improving one thing at a time; if it's all a blur, you don't have time to observe yourself. I had been trying too hard to go faster, and I suspect my riding technique actually worsened, because I didn't have it nailed down yet when I started trying to go fast. My lap times haven't reached my earlier best, but my average lap time is way better (and more consistent).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.