Triumph 675 Forums banner

Big problem AFTER recall work done

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  apbt4life 
#1 ·
I purchased a 2006 D675 on Sept 15th, 2012. I am the 2nd owner and it had less than 3500 miles at time of purchase. On Oct 13th recall work was done by a local authorized Triumph dealer. The items addressed were 1. Air intake duct bolt update, 2. Fuel pump relay update, 3. Regulator rectifier replacement and 4. Coolant flush (my tab). Mileage at this point is 3636 miles.

However, on Monday, Oct 22nd I was riding to work. While on the the highway I looked down at my gauges and notice the gauge cluster is blank, off, not working and the tachometer is stuck on 7k. I exit and pull up to a red light. Everything except the gauges seem to be working properly. I turn the ignition to off thinking I can turn it back on. It doesn't turn on. It doesn't respond to anything. Luckily I was only 1 1/2 blocks from my work so I push the bike there. The only thing that indicates life is an orange light on the gauge cluster. I check all the fuses. All are good. I check the battery and get it charged. It's good. Still nothing. The next day I get it towed to the same dealer that did the recall work. The bike at this point has less than 3800 miles.

To this day (Nov 7th) the dealer still has my bike. They don't know what the problem is and they say they've never encountered this before. They've spoken with Triumph and Triumph doesn't know what's going on either. The dealer says they 1) swapped/tested the ECU. It's good. 2) swapped/tested gauge cluster. It too is good. The previous owner installed an integrated tail light and integrated turn signals. I asked them to check the wiring for that as well as test the (new) R/R and check the stator. They can't however seem to isolate what is causing it to short. They're suggesting to either replace the entire wiring harness or methodically go through the existing wiring harness to find the culprit. I can only imagine what parts and labor will cost if I go either route.

The Triumph dealer who has my bike is not the dealer I purchased it from however, ironically they are however the dealer who sold this bike to the first owner.

I can't stop thinking this problem coincides too close from when the recall work was done. Does anyone have any suggestions?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a similar problem on my 2012 when it only had about 1k miles. It was a pinched wire in the loom somewhere causing the problem. Took them three tries to find the real problem as it would work for a while then stop again with same symptom...no gauges. One odd thing was when it acted up and wouldn't start if I turned on the brights it would fire right up and everything worked fine, guessing it was some wire associated with the low beams being pinched or something...very odd behavior foe sure.

Anyways they are going to have to just trace the wires and see where it is shorting out...really your only option.

#5 ·
I have a 2007 and its currently at a Triumph certified dealer here in Tucson for the R/R recall and it happens that the overheating from the R/R also fried my harness and stator, they went ahead and replaced everything just waiting on the new harness to come from UK hopefully will have it back next week, in my opinion it might be your wiring harness cause the same thing happened to me everything would not work on my bike and it was because of the harness, luckily my shut off while at a stop light, hope everything works out for you.

#6 ·
Precisely why I don't use dealers for anything unless I absolutely have to. If it was fine before you went in, then they F-ed something up. I'll bet there is a short to ground at the harness ground right under the tank. Or they pinched the R/R cluster in the reroute of the harness. Another place that can go wrong is where the fuel relay sits just under, and next to, the left side of the tank. It would be very easy to jack up this connection of someone wasn't paying attention when reassembling. Good luck figuring out the issue... It should be on their dime.

#7 ·
I had a problem similar to yours...it was short in the wires leading from the purge control valve. The wire was rerouted wrong after a recall where it would make contact with the chain at the front sprocket.

You're gonna have to trace it methodically to each wire in the wiring harness with a multimeter and test for continuity...tedious unfortunately but the only way.

#13 ·
I had this exact same problem two summers ago. What tooblekain has said is the only way you'll find the problem: it's a short in the wiring somewhere. Once it's fixed it will fire right up. Guarantee it. I would start looking at the places where recall work was done. When it happened to me, it was due to a shoddy job on the previous owner's part of adding new blinkers and plate light into the electrical system. You'll find it eventually.

#9 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. Thanks Geof3 & tooblekain. I'll take those suggestions to the dealer. As it stands the dealer is still working with Triumph. Hopefully I find out more info tomorrow. Ideally it would be nice if the dealer and Triumph front the bill but we'll see. I usually have a lot of confidence with this dealer. I purchased two Ducati's from them prior and never had an issue with their work. They have Master Ducati techs there but I don't know the level their Triumph mechanics are at. This is my first Triumph and will probably be my last Daytona. This issue makes me seriously bummed and disappointed.

#10 ·
Let me guess, Erico? They are actually pretty good. They just gave me my parts so I could do the install. That's where I bought my bike. They should still fix it regardless what it is. Don't let this glitch sway you. This is my second triumph and both have been excellent. :thumbup:

#11 ·
Don't let this turn you away.....these are AWESOME bikes, if it was working fine before they worked on it then they need to fix it plain and simple. Once you get past this stupid mistake that most likely occured you will love the bike.

Especially since you are a dedicated customer they better pay the bill bottom line, don't let the mechanic ease his way out of losing money because of his mistake. If Triumph is saying they are stuck then it was the mechanics error most likely.

#12 ·
OP, i see situations like this quite a bit at work. For instance, i had some sign guys out to put up a new sign at a building we share with another company. Unforunately, the sign co made the sign just a couple inches too big (wished i had that problem) and it wouldnt fit so they never even touched anything. THe company next door saw the trucks though and when they started having electrical issues later in the day, they immediately blamed us, then called the landlord to complain then threatened to sue us. Your issues may/may not be related but definitely something to look at. Maybe you can work it to get them to cover teh work?

At any rate, everyone is right. You'll have to test each wire. If they arent going to cover it, you might want to try to DIY if you are capable. Once you resolve the problem you will LOVE the bike though. You have a great color too!

#14 ·
RESOLVED!

I didn't speak very long to the dealer but this is the gist of. The previous owner installed an integrated tail light/turn indicator and his re-wiring was the cause why the bike was shorting out.

It's costing me $300 in labor but much better than $2-$3k for a new wiring harness and labor. The previous owner will know and I hope I will get some sort of compensation from him.

Thanks again for everyone's input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.