Triumph 675 Forums banner

Track Newbie: 250 or 600?

3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  FUNGUS 
#1 ·
Hi! I'm an avid street rider (Daytona 675/Street Triple R) - frequently hit the twisties - did a track day at Sears Point and am now ready to convert. I saw a pretty sweet deal (at least I think) here: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3375973004.html. The question is, should I go for a 250 instead as a dedicated track bike first and then graduate to a 650 or 600? I am ***a cautious rider***, I know I'm not fast and I have a lottttt to learn. Please share your thoughts!

#2 ·
I had a s3r for the street and did my first track days on it but was afraid to dump it and bought an r6 track bike for $1800. I tracked it several times but was disappointed when comparing it to my s3r. Primarily, it didn't handle the same and the engine characteristics were too different. So I bought a 675 for the track and have been stoked. So personally I think u should get a 675- this will provide familiarity and with that, confidence on the track.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#3 ·
Confidence like said above will put you deeper into your learning curve. Unless you really think you will be pushing that hard to start out on a 1800.00 bike then so be it but just remember your not out there to learn the hard way. I would at least get something with a very solid suspension.....you wont learn very much if your too worried about traction.

Even though this one is sold this would be ideal if your still wanting to work with a lower cost bike.

Original price before it sold was 3200.00

http://weraclassifieds.com/ads/2003-yamaha-r6/

Keep your eye on this website for bikes, I have seen a lot of nice bikes come through here for very reasonable prices.

#4 ·
I see no problem with a 600. Or a 675 in this case. I think a 250 is a good starting point but IMO A ninja 650 or SV650 is the best place to start for a track bike. They are fun and fast enough for most riders. I have seen a lot if control riders on SV's. They will show most riders where its at without all the horse power.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

#6 ·
Yup, this is how the addiction begins!

Please consider becoming a member of the local race club; volunteer at the races and see what the type of bike most folks are running in competition. Then look for an older version of the same model, ex-race bike, and a model you feel comfortable with for service and working on.

This format will allow you access to group knowledge base, and have a bike some may be familiar with and most can answer any questions about.

My advice would be to set a budget of no more than $3000 for the bike, and budget for $3000 for track-essentials. Total upfront budget will be $6000 and you can be reasonably happy with whatever you have. Plan for another $3000 to do over-winter service, so for the first year, a fixed budget of $9000 would be a good starting point.

WARNING: http://weraclassifieds.com/, http://www.ebay.com/, and http://www.roadracingworld.com/ may become daily websites you hit up!

#5 ·
As someone who owns a 250 and 675, i would say go for the 600cc class as a dedicated track bike. The 250 is a great bike but, at least for me, one of things i really enjoyed about going to the track was being able to open the taps on the 675 and you don't need the track to do that with the 250.

#7 ·
If you were a new rider (the "I am buying my first moto" rider) I'd say get a 250. If you already have street experience then 600 is fine. Try to find one that's (hit the local track org sites) is already track-setup (plastics, controls and possibly suspension). There's no point in buying a street bike and then spending extra $$ to convert it.

Looking at the ad: That's a sweet deal for a first track bike.

#8 ·
If you're new to the track, just keep rocking either your Street Triple or your Daytona. I only have two track days under my belt, so I'm in a similar situation as you. After my first track day, I was scoping the WERA classifieds for bikes with the mind frame that I'd get a dedicated track bike.

But since taking my second track day with Ridesmart over the weekend, I'm now convinced that I'll just keep pounding on the Street Triple. I bought it for 5700, it handles like a sports bike, and it goes like stink around the track. If I lay it down, so be it. It would then just become an even more dedicated track bike.

So rather than spend 3-5k on another bike, I'll just keep slowly improving my Street Triple according to my own skills' needs. The bonus of using the Street is that once I'm done with the track day, I pull the tape off, screw the mirrors and license plate back on, and I'm back to a screaming commuter.

There was a guy this past weekend with a seriously hooked up Street Triple. Not only did it look incredible, but the guy was pretty damn fast on it. He had all the goodies, KTECH cartridges, KTECH shock, even BST carbon rims. These bikes are killer.

#12 ·
I have a Ninja 250 and a 675, I took my 250 to my first track day and she will never see the track again. Just way too underpowered. I also scraped the shit out of my exhaust on one side and the kickstand mount on the other side. The kickstand mount is actually attached to the frame, I was scraping the frame of my 250 I was leaning so hard.

#16 ·
If the anxiety factor is high, definitely start with a 250. Even though you may be the slowest bike on the track, the 250's low limits will allow you to concentrate on the fundamentals: track etiquette, body positioning, geometry... Not to mention giving you valuable seat time where your mindset is more "how do I squeeze more performance out of this thing" rather than, "OMG OMG OMG OMG."

I went to an FTR track day clinic a couple of months ago, and I was the only 250 on the group. There were quite a few folks there in liter bikes. One that I remember is a canyon convert on an R1. He went into the hairpin on Auto Club too fast and dumped his bike on the grass. He and the bike merely got scratched, but his confidence was shot; the instructors just couldn't get through to him. On the other hand, I was getting passed like crazy, but I was actually pulling faster lap times than a handful of those guys. For a newbie, I think it's vitally important to come into a track day with an "attack" mindset than a "defensive" one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.