Triumph 675 Forums banner

2009 Street Triple R - may be parting out

5K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  jimpope 
#1 ·
Traffic on the highway came to a stop in front of me...I was able to stop in plenty of time...plenty of distance to the car in front of me and I just turned my head to check for an opportunity to merge and WHAM...person in behind of me wasn't able to stop and rear ended me. Force launched me maybe 10-20 feet and the bike actually made minor contact wit the car in front of me.

Amazingly the engine is without a scratch on and and starts right up just like a champ.

Swingarm is toast...pushed into the brake rotor so it won't roll. I even took the caliper off...thought thats what the problem was. It also broke off the right rearset and it bent forward and out the arrow exhaust...which apparently became the slider preventing damage to the engine and most of the rest of the right side (although turn signal did not survive).

Have to wait on final determination from insurance adjuster. Looks like the lady driving had let her insurance lapse and I wasn't carrying uninsured motorist. If that is their final answer, I may be parting it out.

On the lucky side, I simply feel like I went a couple of rounds with a heavyweight boxer. Soreness and really good bruises on back of left leg where the bracket for the exhaust cans struck me and on my left rear hip where I landed after my brief flight.

See less See more
#5 ·
:thumbup: i'm really glad you a faired well, that passenger peg and arrow probably saved your leg

i'd say get another swingarm and i can send you the rearset (i have one somewhere) :nod:

rear panel and fender is toast but loooks to be fixable till you spend money, how about your old exhaust is that still around, i'll trade you mines for your arrow :whistle:

fix the headlights they're bugging me the way are in those pics :laugh:

so i'd fix it rather then parting it out, gives you something to do and still be able to ride :nod:

#6 ·
The PO did sell me the original exhaust... so I could put those back on...or just part those out, too. I guess I should look at how much it would cost to get a new swingarm. It is a blast to ride. I should know early next week whether their insurance is still in effect. I would also be happy to sell "as is".

#12 ·
Thats exactly why I added this

It still wont prevent a completely clueless person from seeing me, but it does seem to get people to back off me a little on the interstate.
Also, if I have to stop on the interstate, I move all the way to the edge of the lane so a car behind me has room to fully hit the car ahead of me leaving me on the side, but it looks like you were about that far over when you got hit.
I commute to work 35 miles of interstate each way and there is usually at least 1 sudden stop on the route.

#14 ·
Thanks all; and yes I feel very fortunate to still be around. An update... I had a friend out who specializes in rebuilding bikes. The good news is the bike is fixable. New swingarm, bracket for rear brake caliper, right passenger peg bracket, right rearset, front fender and the plastic just below the seat on right side and I'll be back riding it again. I have original exhaust from previous owner. Now to source parts.....

Sorry to all of you that had dibs.....

At least I have my KLR650 to ride while I'm putting it back together.

#17 ·
Very surprised but happy. The insurance company called me back to day to let me know they had made a mistake and the person who hit me WAS insured at the time of the accident! Faith in humanity restored... a little....

#21 ·
Holy cow! Dealer just did the estimate.... said $11,000!!!! Brand new 2013 only cost $10k...although mine did have arrow exhaust. I only paid 6500 used a couple of years ago. Bummer! Now.... to see what their insurance company is willing to give. I saw NADA avg retail is around 7300 (extra 200 for performance exhaust).

#23 ·
Hopefully they will total the bike, pay you off, and sell the bike back to you cheap. Then you can part the bike out. with the payoff and the profit from the part out, you should have enough money, or close to buy a new bike. Good luck. Also glad you weren't hurt any worse than you were.

#27 · (Edited)
Looks like insurance will come through with ~$7,300 ! Very cool! However, they said it would cost roughly 1/3 to buy back; I'm not willing to risk that it's not fixable; so I'm letting it go. Good luck, gents...maybe I'll have another some day.

OBTW.... I do have original stock exhaust (2009 ST-R), Haynes service manual (2006-2010) and an uncut key (I was just about to get 2nd key cut after I lost one of the originals) if anyone wants to make an offer on any of these.

#28 ·
I'm local to you buddy, I ride that route pretty often on the 51 but get off at Glendale, right before northern where you got hit. I hate riding now that the snowbirds are back clogging up the roads and there are no distracted driver laws either. I was rear ended twice since moving to AZ both times by young ladies with eyes glued to their text messages, it's a shame but at least you are ok.

#32 ·
Well, I used insurance money to get a 2011 kawi concourse. I've had it for about a month. Wow... I miss my STR. However, most of my non-commuting miles are with my girlfriend on the back, so it made sense, right? It's nice and heated grips are great...but it's a little heavy.

Did I mention I miss my STR? :unhappy:

However, I just got a lead on a 2010 ST with 12k miles for $5k. Sounds like a pretty good deal, eh? Don't know if I can resist.....

obtw... I still have stock exhaust from my 2009 str that is in pretty pristine condition. Make offer if interested...it's just taking up space in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.