Triumph 675 Forums banner

sv650 is coming back

4K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  Wei 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Not quite my cup of tea. Looks like a STR and a Monster had a offspring.

Had actually been thinking of picking up a used SV650 for a track bike. However, I am now aiming towards a used R6. Since I plan to race as well. Much more opportunities to race in that class around here.

#8 ·
If they do come out with a half faired version like last time, and it looks decent. Ill probably try and grab one.

I agree that the SV cant compare to alot of bikes, but for just having fun riding around town, the suspension & brakes were more than enough, you cant bitch about the shifting with how clunky ours are. And it was alot more comfortable.

All in all it was a great bike to just hop on and kick around town for a while and on some of the curvier rural roads. Always left a smile on my face.

#9 ·
I do like it to some degree, I am not a fan of Japanese Bikes, they are rock solid and will run forever, but they don't do it for me.
The SV650 sold well for many reasons, price and reliability. In todays market those core values are still alive and well. There is no doubt that Suzuki will sell more than a few of these.

#10 ·
No doubt, but I am wondering why they dropped the Gladius name. This is essentially the same bike as the Gladius but with a different name, which was a pretty substantial redesign of the... SV650... ?

Think they went to far into "chick bike" with the Gladius name, and Suzuki is trying to butch it back up again?

My wife told me when we were looking for her a bike that the Gladius is too much of a chick bike. What she really wanted was the Daytona I am ridding, but after trying it out she realized the step over is way to tall for her to feel confident on. She is only 5'nothin and the Daytona isn't exactly built for her.

She LOVES the redesigned ex250 though, and it fits her perfect.

#12 ·
gotta admit like the 2008+ ninja 250's, comfy, with enough get up and go to get you where you need. and the gas milage is awesome.

From what ive seen, this is the 2009+ SV650 that they sold in other countries. They are just bringing it back to america. i honestly dont know how the gladius fits in, or whether its true or not.

#16 ·
Kind of ugly. I didn't see an S model, wonder what that would look like.

#22 ·
The SV did what it was meant to do, which was just give you a fun ride around town. It wasnt designed for the track, or for 1/4 mile runs. So yeah i can see people not being happy with it when you take it out of its element. The suzuki engineers and designers said this when it first came out. The bike was more about fun factor, and comfort than outright performance. Thats why i cant really compare it to supersports other sportbikes, because they were designed with completely different perspective in mind

#24 ·
Hyosung is one of those companies who's products get nicer every year.

I remember looking at their scooters also marketed as United Motors, and well they where "good for the price" they weren't great.
Last January I saw the 2012 Hyosung MC's at the show in NYC and while they are not great, they are pretty good. The cost for a new bike is around 6K and comes with a 2 year warranty.
If I was looking for a inexpensive first bike or just a commuter bike the "bang for the buck" factor as well as fuel efficiency makes Hyosung hard to ignore. IMO
They are a bit heavy.

#25 ·
First one i rode was a 2009 (?) GT250 and while it worked. I cant say i had fun on it. Ive ridden ninja 250's before and after riding the GT i just wasnt that impressed.

Its been a while so i dont remember exactly why i didnt like the Hyosung. But i can pick up a 08+ ninja 250 for 2.5k-4k off craigslist.

#26 ·
i just bought a mint matt black 01 sv650s with 13,800 miles saturday, sold it sunday and made some serious cash off it. I put 200 miles on it and i thought it had a lively little motor, very comfortable, and handled well (forks and shock were heavily modified), and it was just fun to ride. it obviously doesnt compare to our 675's or other supersport, but to sell that quick i would have to say its definatly a bike lots of people like to own and ride. wonder if anything major has changed on 13 model from the previously re-labeled gladuis.

#32 ·
yeah the extra weight definately concerned me, why is it even there?

Id like to find out the reason for the extra weight, if it isnt good, then its a deal breaker for me.

#33 ·
year on year, tighter noise and emission standards are making exhausts heavier (and uglier) unfort

the bike as a whole is pretty nasty though imo - though I was never a fan of the sv either. Still no USD forks suzi? box section swingarn, nasty built in rear passenger pegs etc

yuk

#36 ·
Generation 1 w/ the rounded frame were the lightest(416lb), most of them made 65-69 HP, torque is in 42-44 ft-lb range, and had carbs. The gen 2, angular frames, weight went up to around 425 lb, fuel injection and a couple of small changes to the engine bumped the power up to 68-72 HP, torque output was about the same. The Gladius and current SVF 650, have a steel frame engine changes are more extensive for friction reduction, emissions, and better midrange throttle response and weight went up also. I have owned both generations of the SV, standard gen1, S gen2, they are fun bikes, seat to peg distance a bit more roomy than a street, suspension is low budget, to keep the price down, but a shock, fork work, and some brake up grades help them out. If and when I find a nice gen1, I wouldn't mind owning another. Plus if you are wanting to start racing, these are a good bike to learn the craft on, they also make good track bikes, but everything you make up in the corners w/ one gets lost on a straight away to bigger bikes which can be frustrating. Also owned a Vstrom 650 but that's another story and this post is long enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.