Triumph 675 Forums banner

[Track] Really fast corners and throttle...

5K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Red October 
#1 ·
What do you do with throttle control before facing those REALLY fast corners, which still provide full lean angle & knee down?

1. Roll off (just a little), keep it steady, then turn?
2. Not rolling off and keep the throttle steady, then turn?
3. ???

Thanks.

#4 · (Edited)
Just keep it open, but not wide open.

This might help a bit:

Turns out I'm not actually doing what I'm saying I should be doing. Thus, do whatever feels the best for you.

I'm rolling off much more than I thought. (0:18 and 1:40 marks)

But in the end you want to have power on the rear wheel to maintain chain tension across the top to create anti-squat.

Edit: Somebody stop me if I'm talking shit

#7 ·
I don't feel steady in any corner under 6000rpm. So I match my gear for the speed so that I can keep it above 6000 the whole way through, going neutral for downhill, slightly positive for level ground (to account for friction lowering speed) and trying to increase throttle as I'm headed through an uphill turn.

#8 ·
For track riding if you can maintain 10k RPM you're in the good range...you can drop down to 8K every now and then; but once you go below that the bike has essentially fallen flat on its face and will take longer to get back to the power band.

#9 ·
what does steady means anyways? maybe i'm having problems with english because it isnt my mother language.

for me: steady on throttle = stactic on throttle = not moving your wrist = neutral throttle = maintenance throttle = not rolling on/off

right?

and when you say ur "slightly positive", does it means increasing throttle+increasing lean angle? isnt this wrong?

#10 ·
I don't know if it's "wrong" to add throttle and lean at the same time but it is the most common reasons for crashes. I have done it on accident when I was first learning throttle control and never crashed but it was on mild street riding and I wasn't in the high RPM range either so it would make it more difficult for the rear to spin up on me.

I think at some point you are either maintenance throttle while leaning or slightly rolling on because if you have a decreasing radius turn and you have to tighten up your line the throttle still needs to be there to keep the suspension working properly.

Just my thoughts on that anyway.....could be wrong.

#11 ·
With experience and properly set up bike, you can get on the throttle quite aggressively while leaned over. It is a feel thing, you need to be able to feel when its starting to spin up or step out on you. So much of this discussion is a mute issue, because every turn is different, so without us all discussing a specific turn at a specific track, we will all be on different pages.

#12 ·
With experience and properly set up bike, you can get on the throttle quite aggressively while leaned over. It is a feel thing, you need to be able to feel when its starting to spin up or step out on you. So much of this discussion is a mute issue, because every turn is different, so without us all discussing a specific turn at a specific track, we will all be on different pages.
Ah ok, I just never wanted to test the limits of it on the street.

#15 ·
Maintenance throttle = the throttle you need to keep your speed from varying :whistle:

You can try a bit of rear brake, among the other techniques discussed. Of course, some will tell you the rear brake is useless :biggrinjester:

#19 · (Edited)
I can see how this would be different at each track. At Fontana Speedway there is turn 2 and a little sweeper between turn 4 and 5 ( I don't think it has a number). Entry speed is slow into those corners because you're just coming out of another corner, but you can move pretty good in those corners midway through. I just pin it and pray! She likes to dance between shifts. I'm pretty sure that's not the right way of doing it though and im not very quick.

Sent from my DROID2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#22 ·
Rikke,

I think all corners are different but probably on fast corners you just roll off, lean + maintenece trottle and then pin it..

Check out 23race.com they have some nice vids on there from 2 AMA guys. They have some fast corners there.

Probably the best for you is to go to interlagos and try it!! :) see what works best...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#23 ·
On fast, no brake corners, it is really just a matter of letting off the throttle the proper amount and getting back on as soon as you can.

But of course corners you have to brake for are a bit different.

Let me just say this: there is NEVER an appropriate situation to "WHACK" the throttle to wide open. 1. That doesn't allow your suspension to work properly and give you full traction, and 2. If you find yourself at a place where you could be at full throttle, then you're already too slow with your wrist, because you could have been rolling the throttle on.

Go watch just about any professional rider, and they all do just about the same thing for any braking corner: They keep their speed as long as possible, then they get hard on the brakes, and as they dip into the corner they begin to release the brake in parallel with their lean until full lean and approximate apex, when they are just reaching the end of their brake handles limit, and immediately and smoothly transferring to rolling on the throttle, as if it is one control. They pretty much NEVER "whack" on their throttle, or immediately release their brake, it's always smooth all the time.

Remember, slow is smooth, and smooth is fast ;-)

#24 ·
OP, there are limitless variables to every turn. These can range from conditions, asphalt, tires, weather, your skill, confidence, riding style etc. YOU have to feel what is right for YOU at each and every corner. No one on the internet can say you need to do XXX at each corner for X seconds.

#25 ·
Redoctober, maybe I need to bump down to L2 cause I must have missed all of this information lol.

Brandt preaches that if you're not fighting the rear for traction you can be on the throttle earlier, faster, and harder(still not slamming the throttle open but making it quick). Which I've been working on since I got my triple clicker and some GPAs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#29 ·
We just had a mini-ARC at MSRH with him (RS is trying out a more individual instruction for lvl3-wanna-be's) with Art. He goes out and films you and other small group, like ARC but in lvl2 and no shirts. You just ride your own pace. Had an awesome time and good "you should be here, not a foot over there" commentary.
If TT ran a 2-day at ECR I'd totally be there. Just not worth it for a day, it costs almost as much in gas as it does for TD.

#30 ·
Yea Art always seemed super calm and reassuring maybe it's cause he is quiet lol.

Yea ECR is a drive, I just wanna sure up some lines and passing areas before the race there. I'm not very fast so the more comfortable I am with a track the less ill stress trying to sneak by people.

Saw the rain pics on WFO/HPC. How'd that work out?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#31 ·
I chose not to run much today, hate the wet cold stuff. We (the 4 people in lvl3) went out for 9am session, cold wet track, rear was all over the place. As lvl1 round robin went out, the storm moved in with rain, 30mph+ windgusts and pretty much 50 yards visibility. One of the lvl1 riders was literally blown off the track into grass. So...they called lunch and a 30 minute break for storm to pass, then reopened the track. We went out again, it was even worse than at 9am. Standing water, colder, so I called it quits. Kind of wishing I didnt, 3 hours later it semi dried up, but I was going to work on bus stop and diamonds edge exits, and thats pretty hard to do when it's slick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.