Triumph 675 Forums banner

dipesh267's "How To Change your Oil" *with pics*

132K views 207 replies 107 participants last post by  DDay 
#1 ·
Thanks to dipesh267 for sending in this helpful "How To"!! :2tu

Oil Change For Triumph 675

Triumph recommended material has already been discussed in the 675 forum.
http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6787

Manual recommends running the bike for a while and warming the engine thoroughly before the oil change. Manual aslo recommends waiting atleast 10 mintues after the engine has been shut off to allow sufficient cooling.
Remove the left side fairing. Instructions to remove the fairing is also discussed in the 675 forum here.

http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=948

Once the fairing is off identify the oil drain bolt and the oil filter.

Unlike some other sportbikes, the oil filter is easily accessible and has enough room to apply some elbow grease.

Remove the drain bolt. Make sure you keep your hands away from the oil that pours out because it's hot from the hot engine. Let the oil drain into the drain pan.

Remove the oil filter after a while. Some oil will pour out of the filter so be careful because it's hot as well.

Once the oil has drained take the new oil filter and line the seal with some of the oil itself that was drained or with the fresh oil.

Fit the oil filter and tighten to 7.3 lbf ft (10Nm)

Replace the crush seal if it's crushed or damaged with a new one and place the bolt back.

I used this oil wrech to remove the oil filter. Sometime some people over tighthen them too much so they can be pretty touch to remove because this particular filter wrench can slip quite easily. We're going to replace the filter anyway so be imaginative if needed to remove it.

I decided to go with this Repsol Oil.

Notice the specifications that the manual says is highly recommended.

Once the oil drain bolt and the oil filter have been properly fitted, open the filler cap on the right side of the bike and use a funnel to put oil in.

Make sure your bike has enough oil but do not over fill. The following image was taken from the link http://www.triumph675.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12301

Replace the fairings and start your engine and let it idle for a while.

See less See more
#11 ·
when you put the new oil into the engine put the amount specified on the manual. Don't eyeball it or check dipstick for oil level at that instant. I found out that I might have overfilled becuase I was constantly checking dipstick for oil level and it constantly showed low oil level. after letting it sit for a while I checked to see and found out I filled it up a bit more than I should have.

hmuchmo1 said:
Thanks for the write up.. I am preparing to do my first oil change soon!

#19 ·
Re: nice

^^ If you use the Triumph recommended oil, you can get it at your dealer.

Forrest said:
great write up, but you do not need to remove the fairings to do this! it is quite simple with them in place!
fg
True, but not highly recommended for anyone who has never does this before.

#23 ·
Great thread and nice detailed photos and explaination about changing oil.

Can you post something like this for washing my bike? I really don't know how.

If I squirt the water into the bucket, should the soap already be in there or should I put the soap in afterwards and mix it? :lol:

Also, could you do one for how to put gas in my bike? I keep spilling it all over the place and it's eating my paint :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.