Triumph 675 Forums banner

STR 500 mile service

5K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
Hello all, I am over my 500 miles and tried to call dealers to schedule an appt for my first service. They want 150 plus parts and they cant guarantee me a time slot, wtf. They are all over an hour away from me so that means I would need to spend my entire morning/afternoon there waiting for my bike since they cant book me in a time slot.

So my question, I do have my haynes manual for the bike, I ordered a quickdrain plug and ordered kn-204 filters. Is it REALLY important that I bring it to the dealer or can I actually do everything that is needed? I am pretty mechanically sound so that isnt an issue, I just dont want to void any warranty or anything doing the first service myself. I do have an array of tools so I think I would have everything I need.

In the manual (Haynes) it says first service done by dealer so it doesn't list what is needed to do. Any insight on this would help alot.

Oh, also, I plan to run dino oil like Valvoline 10w-40 until over 1200 miles then switch to like amsoil. Any input appreciated.

#3 ·
My dealer told me to do mine at 800 miles. I performed the oil and filter change myself - piece of cake. Very easy to get the filter off with the plastic Triumph socket/cap tool for 5 bucks at the dealer.

Just keep the receipts and log the service in you owners manual.

Check you chain for proper slack - should be about 1 inch of play.

Check all fasteners for correct tightness. I have seen all sorts of things come loose. Re-fasten and secure with Blue Locktite.

Adjust your throttle slack. Makes a huge difference in the way the bike performs.

#5 ·
ya its the same sort of story for all the dealers (and I read your other threads) I booked an appointment 2 weeks in advance for my 800km service a little whiles ago and even then they couldn't give me a time slot or guarantee the work would be done that day (not that I really care) lol but still. I did my own oil change @ 800kms and continued to ride.

#6 ·
Hey Tronix, I'd vote to take the bike to a dealer. You'll be surprised at how many different little places you'll need to look on the bike to inspect, adjust, etc. Only you know your level of expertise with the bike as the initial setup is more than an oil change...once you take into consideration your time, I feel the extra few dollars to have an expert look into it may be money well spent - it could be your life.

With that said, I have plenty of friends who just performed a basic look about the bike and oil change and were fine.

#11 ·
Hey Tronix how did this work out for you?

I am not concerned about the oil/filter change, coolant flush, chain adjustment, or bolt fastening, but as far as the other checks go (throttle cable, clutch cable, fuel system, engine ECM, etc.) I am unfamiliar.

Tell me about your decision to go at the service yourself...

#12 ·
I dont trust any dealers car or bike so I have taught myself how to work on my own cars and bikes with first buying the service manual. If you have tools and a will to learn you really cant mess up anything. I like to take my time and go over everything slowly so I do it right the first time. For my 500 I did everything you were supposed to do that you stated, cables are easy to adjust, checking fuel system and ECM is easy to. I bought a USB/OBD2 connector on amazon and installed TuneECU to check for any error codes and flashed my ECU to the newest firmware following the instructions on the TuneECU site. I found it very straight forward working on my bike. I think anyone will get more pride out of working on their own bikes than having someone else do a quick job on it and paying big dollars.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.