Triumph 675 Forums banner

Dunlop Q2s . Anyone running them ?

4K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  ZrexRich 
#1 ·
Went out today to clean my bike to notice the stock Pirellis had exposed threads . Never have I had a tire do that so sudden since i haven't really ridden this thing hard to most's standards . I went to my local dealer to check their tire specials and left with a pair of Dunlop Q2s due to some pretty good reviews . Anyone here running them ? Personal opinions ?

#6 ·
I think that the Dunlop Sportmax Q2 tyres are the best road tyres I have ever used.

The *only* failing is that they don't last long if you ride pretty hard.

Nevertheless, they are incredibly good for back road twisties... :thumbup:

S.

#9 · (Edited)
tooblekain's review is spot on. I ride 70 miles daily and my rear tire has exactly 4522 miles on it with minimal flat spot on the center tire. Rides well in the rain and snow on my way up angeles crest. I did track days on them and performed well over my abilities.

Martin only got about 1000 miles on them? but i bet those a hard canyon miles I bet?:coolgleamA:

you also get more lean angle/ bigger foot print on these tires compared to let say the old qualifier which my bike had in 09. ever since then Ive had the Q2'S . Never could get to the edge of the tire on the Q2'S even on canyon carving rides but was only was able to when I went to the track.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/3841/Motorcycle-Article/Dunlop-Sportmax-Q2-Product-Review.aspx

#12 ·
I ran Q2s on my street R for a long time ~ 2yr or 2yr & a half. Used up more sets of tires than I can count - sport riding. I got 1500 miles from a rear (like a clock) and between 2250 and 2500 from the front.

I've since gone to Bridgestones: an 023 rear and an 016pro or S20 on the front. I got 2500 miles outta the 1st rear. I haven't changed the front yet.

#14 ·
I found the rear profile (shorter) along with the front taller profile made the bike steer slower with the q-2s. I tried a 190 and it worked better. These tires stick like glue, but wear out like paper. (180 lasted about 1600 miles, the 190 about 1200 miles) This is not freeway use, but back roads.

I am currently trying the bridgestone 003 r/s's. Seem to wear a bit better, traction not quite as good as the q's.

There is no perfect tire. unless you have an unlimited budget that is.

Mark

#27 · (Edited)
Look for the December 12' issue of Sport Rider Magazine. They did a sport tire shootout with the following tires:

Avon 3D Ultra Sport
Bridgestone S20
Continental ContiSport Attack 2
Dunlop Q2
Metzler Sportec M5 Interact
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II
Shinko 010 Apex

They rated the Q2's #1 and the Rosso II's #5

*I realize now after looking on Pirelli's website the Rosso II's and the Roso Corsa(what comes oem on the Sreet Triple) are two different tires.*

#16 ·
It's what you want to get out of them.

I find them to be the stickiest street tire around, and certainly the best for the money. I'd rather have the confidence that my tire is going to stick, and have to replace a little more often then have a longer lasting, less grippy tire.

#17 ·
I have run the Q2 and they are a great tyre but only 3000kays from rear, I then went to get another as it was such a great tyre but the bloke in the shop recommended the Dunlop Sportsmart / Sportmax instead, said it is stickyer & will last longer + has N-tec to help keep shape at lower pressures , I rode them on the street & Trackday & although I found the Q2 to be an awesome tyre the sportsmarts were even better

#21 ·
That's crazy that you guys get such low mileage on your Q2's. It definitely must be riding style and tire pressure. I have Sportsmarts on my Guzzi and put 12k on them for my cross-country trip. The rear still look like it could go another 10k. I might try them on my Street Triple next time around.

#20 ·
I'm on my fourth set of Q2's now. They are GREAT tires, they have a short lifespan though. I usually get 2000-2300 miles per rear tire depending on riding style, and 3500-4000 per front.

#22 ·
I went to order some Q2s for my triple. Turns out there's 2 varieties - standard and GPA. The GPA is the really good one with the grip you want. The standard is rubbish by comparison. Then you have to choose the compounds you want - soft, soft-medium or medium. Does anybody know which specific type they are using?

#24 ·
I love Q2's on the Triple. They have great grip and hook up nicely through the twisties and on the track. I run pressure pretty low for performance riding (30/30). Tend to only get about 2000 miles before I feel like its time for new tires. To me, it's worth it to ride how I want with confidence

#25 ·
OP... You didnt mention your riding style. If you are low to intermediate track rider... Any tire will do.. If you are advanced track rider the pirellis will allow you to exploit your skill to the max.

If you are going to be doing more distance (slab, touring) riding then you should think of even a harder compound tire... Again it all depends on your riding style.. I have used the Q2s since they first came out and they are great, they just seem to require a bit more heat buildup.

#26 ·
Ok Gents. I got 6k out of my rear on my stock Qualifiers. I bought the bike second hand so the jury is still out on actual total distance on the rear really (between 3k and 6k, big variance I know :afraid:). For the 3k that I rode it I did one day at a short track TONS of commuting and some back roads scratching. I did 2 sessions on another track day and corded the center.

For commuting and back roads they were fine, but I didn't think they were all that great for track days. Keep in mind I haven't gotten to a big boy track with it yet.

Are Q2's massively better then Qualifiers? At this point I'm thinking about Michelins or Bridgestones cause the Qualifiers were so "Just ok".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.