Triumph 675 Forums banner

Paint options

2K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  Lankford 
#1 ·
For those of you that painted your fairings with rustoleum, "$50 way", do you think you could have the same success with this?
sherwin Williams

It says all surface exterior oil-based enamel. Those are the key characteristics correct? I was looking for more color options than what rustoleum offers.

#5 ·
Yup I have experienced this before when I painted my street bike. I was filling up at the pump and some gas came out unexpectedly and it was a flaw that couldn't be fixed and really annoyed me!

I think the best way to go overall is just a base color of what you want via spray can and then put vinyl over it and clear coat the vinyl. This way you can get whatever detail you want without hours of airbrushing, orange peel on your rattle can job and once you wipe out then you can even just replace the part of the vinyl that got damaged and re-coat it.

I have seen some AMA bikes done this way, they weren't factory teams but it's a great way to get your bike looking professional without shelling out thousand of dollars for a paint job. I even talked with a local paint shop that just opened up and offered to put their name on my bike for a discounted rate on the paint work and it was still over a grand for just 2 basic colors....

#4 ·
I should have mentioned its for a track body.
Not trying to cheap out, seen others on here that seemed happy with the quality for that.

I hadn't seen anyone have issues before with gas or other fluids. That would definetly be a concern.

#6 ·
All my bikes are track only bikes and I paint every single one with two-stage paint. Nothing more sad than a wilting paint job...

Simply put: The rattle can guys are the same people totally satisfied with blue tape covering lights.

It's really not a big deal as far as value of life, it's just: life has an order. In that order is a right, and a wrong way to do things.

Paint your bike how ever you would like, but in the order of things, spending $40 more dollars is the right way to do this kind of business (in my opinion).

This won't make it faster, or help it crash better, but it's the right way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
So you're saying I could spray it for $100? I know someone that would do it for free, just have to get the paint. Didn't want to burn my 'I owe you one' card.:laugh:

I figured getting two stage would be much more.

#11 ·
Not at all. Two stage is quite cheap if you do the work yourself, or trade for beer. Depending on colors, and what clear coat you want, it's not much money in the least. I personally use SW paint. Go into the closest automotive paint shop and tell them what you are up to. They will give you the hook.

A little trick at getting the best cost: pick a paint/clear coat that uses the same resin. That way you can use the same hardener and thinner for the whole project. Then all you have to buy is: one (or two) 1/2 pint of color, 1 pint of clear, and a pint of hardener with a gal of thinner. And if you get good at it, you can paint your friends skinz for a few bucks whilst paying for all your paint till the end of time.

You will need to buy a sprayer, but if you treat it right it will last you till you die. They are not that much money in the long run if you crash a lot like me....

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#23 ·
ahh didn't know it was for race body work. yeah then rattle can is fine. I have used in the past that engine enamel paint that dupont makes, its actually pretty decent and you don't have to clear over it, but you could if you wanted to. But just remember the key to a good paint job is good prep work. If anybody has questions on painting or prepping let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.