Triumph 675 Forums banner

Downshifting problem

4K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
So I changed the oil in my Street Triple R (26k miles now) over the weekend and took it for a ride while we had a nice day on the east coast. I havent touched the bike other than starting it up every week and moving it around the garage in the past month. On the ride while in motion (generally above 35 mph) I was unable to shift down from 4th gear. Upshifts were ok but I was completely unable to shift down into 3rd or any other gear for that matter. I stopped the bike, checked the oil, checked the clutch adjustment and everything seemed to be in order.

Could this possibly be the shifter drum mechanism that had issues on previous years? It doesnt make sense that I would be able to shift into gear if it were the dogs on the gears themselves, so I am very optimistic that I wont have to tear apart the transmission completely. In my thought, it sounds like a shifter fork is bent but from what I am reading that generally pops the gear out of place on upshifts, I just want to shift down.

Eventually when I come to a stop the bike was allowing me to shift down into 3rd and eventually 1st with some effort and magic clutch work but not everytime. I had to pull away from a stop sign in 4th (thank you torque).

Anyone have some ideas for an average wrencher to take a look at?

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a downshifting issue a year or two ago on my Daytona. All of a sudden it wouldn't downshift like normal. I found myself having to push the shift lever down slower and firmer to get it to actually shift down.

Turned out to be a defective part, this little piece with tabs on the other side of the shifter rod that runs through the bike. I forget what exactly it is called.

If you look at assembly #12 in this picture on bike bandit I'm pretty sure it's one of the pieces on the end that have bent tabs or prongs, or whatever you want to call them.

I don't know if that's what your problem is, especially since you just changed the oil, but if it is hopefully this helps.

#3 ·
The problem was there before I changed the oil. I just wanted to make it clear the oil has been changed and filled to the proper level, so its not the oil.

Thanks for the info though. The more and more I think about it, the more it sounds like an internal problem...

#6 ·
Bike is a 2010. I've had the bike in to the dealer for a couple of warranty fixes but they never mentioned anything about that service bulliten.

There is movement in the lever when I go to shift. Full play actually. It moves all the way down but doesnt actually click into gear. Like an empty feeling when I try to shift.

Sent from my EVO using Motorcycle.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.