Triumph 675 Forums banner

STR Insurance

7K views 63 replies 32 participants last post by  Spork 
#1 ·
I know this probably gets covered often, so bear with me. I'm new here. I'm going on my 5th year of riding. Acciddent free and no tickets (in my state). I had used Progressive as they were always cheapest for me.

In Sept. of 2012 I went from my 08 FZ6 to my STR. My insurance went up by nearly 700$. I paid about 450$/ for my FZ6 and my current rate is more than double that, around 1200$ per year.

Does this seem fair/ right to you guys? I realize there is a price to be paid for riding a faster, more powerful and generally more expensive bike.

I have compared quotes and Geico is coming in much cheaper. I'm just hesitant to switch since Progressive was always so good to me.

#2 ·
One fair warning about GEICO, I had them 4-5 years ago and was dropped from their insurance unexpectedly after 2 speeding tickets in the same year. One for 54 in a 50 (it was reduced to that, but as far as they know that is what the ticket was for) and one for 38 in a 25. I guess they are notorious for that.

The one thing that is killing your insurance prices is the fact that it has "R" in the model name. To the insurance company that means "Racing" and that means you are a hooligan who should be charged more because you're going to be street racing and crash.

#3 ·
Sounds redonkulous to me.

My 2012 R costs ~380/yr. I use state farm and get a multi-line discount for having the house and cars through them also. I shopped around for it and was getting higher quotes from other carriers where i don't have any discounts, but nothing near $1200/yr.

#4 ·
State Farm for me as well - same as above. State Farm starts it's rates strictly by cc's (then your record and age, like all companies), so it does not matter if it's an R or not. My Striple is about $30 more than my wife's SV650S. If you have a H-D 883, even though its a dog, it's a lot more to insure.

#7 ·
Try Dairyland motorcycle insurance reasonably priced i pay full insurance for.1200 hd nightster and for 2011 street triple with 4 points under 25 year old.for just $1300 a year. The best deal i got i tried Progressive,Geico,Allstate and another bs company ,none came cheaper then them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
Dairyland quote come in close to Progressive, about 1,000$ per year. I'm not really sure what gives with this.

Is it because the bike is new and financed? I'm 27 with a mostly clear driving record. One not-at-fault acciddent and no tickets in the past few years.

#9 ·
It's the 27 that killing your checking account!

I am with Progressive and the annual is $250 for full coverage. But when you are 102 years old they throw a discount your way..:cool2:

I think your only option is to shop every carrier and see if you can piggyback on your parents policy.

Or buy a nice m/c cover and park it for 15 years:curtsey:

#11 ·
I had Progressive for about 3 yrs when I had my Buell XB12 but the rates kept going up every year by about 60-100 bucks for no reason. No tickets, no accidents, no nothin. So I switched to Geico and have full coverage on my 12 Striple for 215/ yr. It depends on where you live too, my rate changed when I moved last year. USAA is super good too. Oh and Im 30.

#12 ·
I live in a pretty slow area. There is very little crime around here. And I have been an insured rider for 4 years, which is why I'm kind of irritated by this expensive rate. Affording it isn't the problem. It's more the fact that I've been a safe, responsible rider (and driver) my whole life, but even more-so since I've been licensed to ride. The only infraction I have on two wheels is one speeding ticket in MA from fall of 2011.

I just don't see the justification in almost an 800$ jump in rates.

#13 ·
I know it's not a triple but I just recently purchased insurance fir my '12 Daytona 675R and I pay $609/year full coverage, 100/200/100 limits. and $500 deductible and I am 26 with a clean record now. I had Progressive before but since I have been riding for 5 years and licenced to drive a car for 10 my rates dropped substantially.

I would think your rates would be lower than mine though especially due to me living in CA.

#14 ·
I know it's not a triple but I just recently purchased insurance fir my '12 Daytona 675R and I pay $609/year full coverage, 100/200/100 limits. and $500 deductible and I am 26 with a clean record now. I had Progressive before but since I have been riding for 5 years and licenced to drive a car for 10 my rates dropped substantially.

I would think your rates would be lower than mine though especially due to me living in CA.
Uh, yes it is...

#20 · (Edited)
Make sure they are insuring a Street Triple and not a Speed Triple. I've seen insurance companies make that mistake.

On the claim side of things. Progressive is by and far the best I dealt with when filing claims for accident damage. They would cut me a check the day they were there to look at the bike and they never questioned replacing parts. There were no other insurance companies that even came close to offering the same ease as Progressive. Geico was the worst they would argue parts and would frequently total a bike for less then 60% value. The totaling thing was the same with State Farm. They ship the bikes back to Missouri or Arkansas or one of those states as they can sell the bike as a clean title bike back there.

#21 ·
I'm guessing that if everything you say is correct you must be under 25. I have my D675 through progressive and pay $480 a year for full coverage and I had a claim on my other bike! You might also want to look into raising your deductible or dropping some of the extra coverage options.

#24 ·
As I said call them and double check they are insuring the correct bike. If they get one letter wrong when they insure it then suddenly it's a liter class bike. When I went from an FZ6 to a Street Triple the insurance was about $100 more a year but that was because it was a new bike nothing else. After a couple years the premium was as low as the FZ6 had been.

#26 ·
You're 27 and pay that much?! Let me know if you figure that out with Progressive. I'm curious why insurance on basically the same bike would be so much different for me and you when you're a year older than me.

#27 ·
You're 27 and pay that much?! Let me know if you figure that out with Progressive. I'm curious why insurance on basically the same bike would be so much different for me and you when you're a year older than me.
I plan on calling them tonight and basically asking them "WTF" in a nicer tone. Just want to make sure everything is correct.

#28 ·
I'm 43 with a clean record(last ticket just dropped off :hooray:) and have Progressive. Full coverage with $188 deductables(I'm on the disapearing deductable plan) runs $634 a year for my 12' Street R. If I dropped full coverage and went with liability only, it would only be $52 yr.
Compairing apples/oranges, my 05" BMW K1200S(liability only) runs $61 a year and the 09' KLX250SF(liability only) is only $11 a year.
Age, gender, driving record, location, credit score, homeowner, multiple vehicles are just a few of the things that'll affect your rate.

#29 ·
Yup, like I said. I have most of those on my side. Clean 4 year history with progressive, good credit score, low crime/ theft area, clean driving record, no break in insurance, and I'm on the "silver plan" or whatever they call it where I've had X number of years without any claims/ infractions etc. Only boxes I don't check are homeowner and married, both of which are coming up.

#31 ·
Just got off the phone with Progressive. Verified everything was correct- make and model, motor size, etc. Verified my discounts, riding and driving history, and payment history.

I explained that I had come from an FZ-6 and while not the same- it is a comparable bike both in style and HP. I also verified all my previous bikes that I had insured with Progressive.

Basically the only thing she had to offer me is "Well we calculate rates based off make, model, and previous payouts". And other than that, offered no real explanation. She changed my collision deductible from 500 to 1000$ which netted me a savings of 9$ each month. For that price I'd rather keep it on there and have the low crash deductible in case anything happens. She said something to the affect of "While we value you as a customer I hope that if you shop around you find good coverage"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.