Triumph 675 Forums banner

strange valve colors

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  miky92 
#1 · (Edited)
Today i leaved my exhaust manifolds, and i noticed a strange thing:

while the other valves on others cylinder have the same (white) color..

i thought about SAI...
do you noticed the same issue?

greetings from italy!

See less See more
#2 ·
Today i leaved my exhaust manifolds, and i noticed a strange thing:

while the other valves on others cylinder have the same (white) color..

i thought about SAI...
do you noticed the same issue?

greetings from italy!
A white coating indicates the motor is running lean.....do you have any modifications to the bike without tuning adjustments or running an improper tune?

#4 ·
only the cyl #1 have this issue, the others two have only whites valves...

anyway i'm with TOR map and original modified exhaust (with first two chambers opened)

the sparks are brown... i think i'm not lean...
anyway i loaded a smaller image, i hope you can view it

#5 ·
This from another motorcycle forum I believe it was an HD forum, but I cant seem to find it anymore

"I’m sure opinions will differ, but you cannot read the plugs (or in this case valve stems) with modern fuel injection like you could with the older carbureted engines. With carbureted models, white plugs meant you were running lean. With FI models, the fuel is constantly adjusted to maintain a slightly lean ~14.7 air-to-fuel ratio during normal riding conditions. This 14.7 A/F ratio insures complete combustion of the fuel to keep the EPA happy but leaves the plugs white. It’s nothing to worry about."

I remember it said that if you aren't pinging then you should be ok. The picture that was posted looked exactly like yours.

#6 ·
it's true but with low\middle rpm... where lambda sonde works and manage air\fuel ratio as you said.
But with high rpm and throrrle position (%) the carburation use static values, from the map...

anyway it may be right, the O2 adjustments false the read of spark\valve colors...
damn, i'm going to cut SAI, lambda,kat and get a real bike :bowdown:

#7 ·
Another forum (Honda Fireblade) mentioned a clogged injector being the culprit. Hopefully you get it figured out. I would also check the TOR tune and make sure it is the correct VIN version and the most current tune. I am no expert but was curious by your picture and what could cause it. Hopefully the more experienced techs could give you more guidance.

#8 ·
injector... maybe, in this case, what should i do? At the moment i have injectors away from bike, if you know a method to "clean" them, i'll try it.
I know there are fuel addition products, but i don't believe in them, i think that they just dissolve dirt in the tank fuel (that is a sh*t... full of rust) and then this dirt goes in injectors..

about the map i'm pretty sure, my bike is in the last range of VIN (bought on septhember 2010)... i got the 20596 map, for TOR...

#9 · (Edited)
Ive never heard of people doing it themselves, but usually you would have them sent out to be cleaned and flow tested to make sure they are spraying what they are supposed to spray. I am sure there are kits available as well. You would need to find someone locally or have them sent out. If you were in the US I could put you in touch with someone who does it for free, just have to pay for shipping. Here is a link I found of a company here that does it so you have an idea:

http://www.injectorrx.com/injectors_cleaning.html

And nothing wrong with running injector cleaner with your gas once in a while. Go through the following thread, it good for getting rid of carbon build up. In the thread they recommend the use of Gumout Regane, not sure if that is available to you guys there.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=28066

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.