Triumph 675 Forums banner

For those that went from a literbike...

9K views 49 replies 31 participants last post by  Dozerdogue 
#1 · (Edited)
...To a 675.
I'm debating on selling my CBR1000RR, and stepping into a D675R. I've got a local dealer that has discounted a '12 model. It's the bike I've wanted for some time. (Besides a S1000RR, which is too expensive)

I like the '13 model, mainly because of the slipper clutch, which my CBR has, but I can't bring myself to spend twice what I paid for my CBR1000RR.
I do think the new generation will be a force to be reckoned with, controversial looks aside. :whistle:
This '12 model is priced well enough to convince me to grab one. I would love to keep my Honda, but my garage is getting a bit ridiculous. :rofl:

Now. My CBR has about a 50 hp advantage. I realize the Triumph has tremendous torque, and is a blast to ride. I'm not saying I wouldn't love it. I've just never ridden one.

My question is for anyone that went from a literbike, to a 675...
Did you miss the raw power of the full liter?

EDIT: Updating 1st post. I purchased the D675R. See post #41.

See less See more
#3 ·
Best thing to do is a test ride. If you enjoy the big power of the 1000, then yes, you'll miss it, as the 675 won't compare with the RR in torque/hp. The honda isn't porky either. Let's face it, any sportbike is plenty fast, but the 675R is one of the sexiest bikes out there, period. And a powerband and sound an I4 middleweight can't match. Good luck.

Nuno!

#5 ·
I agree with you guys. Using a literbike to its full potential in the real world is not really possible. Even on the track.
I use an R6 for the track. So I understand the usefulness of a flickable bike, over raw power.
Probably the only time I would miss the 1000 is when I go out to Montana/Wyoming. :bowdown:
I will be keeping my FZ1, so that will keep me happy, although it ain't at the same level...

I also agree that a D675R is WAY more sexy, and sounds like a wicked banshee!
As far as test rides go, that wont happen, especially since it just snowed a few inches last night.
But I'm certain I would love it. I've bought several new bikes over the years, without ever riding that particular model of bike. I've not been dissatisfied before. Can't imagine I would dislike a Daytona.
Thanks for the quick feedback. :cool:

#6 · (Edited)
Figured I would chime in here. I don't own a 1000 but I did recently pick up a hayabusa and have ridden a number of liter bikes. There is a lot more power in these bikes but they are not as much fun as the Daytona (my opinion). I jump back on the daytona after riding a liter bike or the hayabusa and it feels like a bicycle even though the liter bike may be close in weight. It is a completely different beast. If it helps, I know someone who sold their BMW HP2 sport which is a full carbon race replica after riding my 2008 Daytona...

Edit: just saw your list of bikes in your signature! I am jealous!

#7 ·
I had a Ducati 996 and a Speed Triple, both dead sexy and fun to ride. The 675 is an entirely different animal. The RPM range takes some getting used to, but other than that, I don't look back. I LOVE the 675. Also, it's a bit more real world practicle. I feel just as fine putzing around at 35 as hitting the twisties with some speed!The speed triple and Duc, not so much. I think if you get one you won't be sorry...:cool2:

#8 ·
...To a 675.

My question is for anyone that went from a literbike, to a 675...
Did you miss the raw power of the full liter?
Yes!
I went from an 09 R1 to my Daytona and I do miss the outright raw power and the way that the Yamaha Crossplane engine delivered it. Truly addictive and a real hoot to ride. Thats also why I sold it. I was going to end up in jail riding that thing on the road. I was having too much fun on it! I have come to the opinion that litre bikes are too much bike for public road use. I mean, when a bike will do 160kph before you have to touch the gear lever its probably overkill when the speed limit on the opened road is 100kph right?

I must confess that I do prefer the overall Daytona package over any litre bike I have owned. It obviously doesnt have that same raw power but is still no slouch and it handles superbly, being so small and nimble, so overall I am satisfied with the switch

I suppose you need to ask yourself where your priorities lie. Is outright power your be all and end all priority in your riding?

#11 ·
Yesterday I was at Morgan Park Raceway for a track day, having a real good time battling it out with a guy on an R1 in some fake "racing", then a kid on a Moriwaki 250 blew past us like we were standing still and left us in the dust. Take your own moral from the story... mine was that displacement is a small part of the equation.

#13 ·
Love my D675, only thing i dislike is the top end power. if this things was doing 125rwhp i would say it is bascially perfect.

but depending on what you like in your bike, you will mss the HP but the bike has so many postive traits.

#15 ·
Love my D675, only thing i dislike is the top end power. if this things was doing 125rwhp i would say it is bascially perfect.

but depending on what you like in your bike, you will mss the HP but the bike has so many postive traits.
You can get pretty damn close to that with a full exhaust an air filter and some mapping.

#16 ·
I had a 08 1krr and I think the 675 is a great balance if speed/tq/Hp. It has get up and go with little consequence, yes you can still get in trouble but not as quick as the 1000.

I haven't had a 1000 in about 2years in march and rode one yesterday. I miss how smooth and comfortable they are but won't track another. Ill get another one for the street later but I don't do that anymore for right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#17 ·
just came off a crossplane R1 onto a Street Triple R, mate i would say go for it you wont regret it !! i have filmed my local twisty roads on both bikes & the 675 is quicker by about 4 seconds over every 1.5 minutes.

i chased a mate yesterday on a S1000RR , he couldnt shake me i was behind him the whole time, of course he blasted off on the straights after the twistys but 180 RWHP will do that !!! also will make your licence dissapear in a puff of smoke lol ! plus he has Corsas on & i'm on Rosso II's, when we were both on the same Buells i couldnt keep up with this guy so for him to be the BMW & me on the Street R says alot for the Triumph, unbelievable bike, ive owned my 9 days & ridden 8 of those :)

when i went to the triumph dealership to look at the 675 he said the last 2 bikes traded for a 675 were a 1098 ducati & a RSV4R, this is my 7th bike & favourite so far

#18 · (Edited)
Traded an 08 CBR 1K for a 2012 street triple. The torque from the ground up is addicting and the ease of hitting corners is much better than the CBR. I picked up the street triple cause I wanted a comfortable bike and still performs like a sport bike. I seriously couldn't ask for anything more, best of both worlds.

As far as raw power, the fastest I've taken the CBR was 135 (yes, I know it can go much faster), the Triple is was 127 and had more to give. For me, since I don't do track, 127 is fast enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#21 ·
I have a 08 CBR1000RR

CBR1K:
+ Mid-range Torque
+ Excellent Handling from the factory
+ Just as nimble & light as a 600.
+ Excellent ergonomic
+ Comfortable everyday bike.
+ Great platform for a track bike.

- Too fast for street.
- Oil burning issue
- Styling
- 30MPG

Daytona 675:

+ Sexy look
+ You are not riding a YamKawHonda 600
+ Mid-range torque
+ Light & nimble
+ Build for the track

- Not as comfortable on the street
- R/R issue
- Must re-sprung if you are not 180+ lbs

#22 ·
I have a Daytona 675R and a BMW S1000RR; probably two extreme opposites as far as sportbikes go. Each has it's pros and cons.

675R:

A scalpel, feels extremely light, flickable, instant change of direction, decent power, amazing sounds (especially with the CF Arrows slip-on and a high octane tune with intake flap and exhaust butterfly permanently open using ECU Tune) tons of fun and can use all the power in a lot of places, great front end feedback, good brakes with the Carbone Lorraine C59 pads.

BMW S1000RR:

Utterly berserk, cartoonish power, especially with my full race Akra Ti EVO system and PCV with custom tune; it's freakish. Feels HEAVY compared to the 675R, turns in slower, needs more muscle to change direction, great brakes, great gearbox (now I have 43K miles on the bike), fantastic stability once in the corner, insane exit drive out of the corners (running "slick mode" at the track).

I rode both bikes on the same day at a recent Thunderhill track day and it took me 5 sessions before I was as quick on the S1000RR as I was on the 675R. Once I got a handle on the BMW and got to grips with how differently I had to ride it, I ended up being around 2 seconds a lap faster on it than on the 675R, BUT !! I think I will still be faster on the 675R at Sears Point.

The S1000RR is perfect for Thunderhill with plenty of room to use the power. For example, I was hitting around 135 mph on the 675R at the end of the main straight.... on the S1000RR I was hitting 164 mph !!!

I think riding the S1000RR has made me a better rider on the 675R, because I am utterly wringing the 675R's neck now; the power feels so friendly and usable compared to the S1000RR, that I feel almost invincible on the 675R. The S1000RR is an exercise in controlling a small nuclear explosion when the power kicks in; the 675R is all about corner speed and momentum, where the BMW is point and pull the trigger and then hang the f@ck on. When I get back on the 675R after the BMW, I constantly run into the rev limiter until I recalibrate my right hand. Also, it's weird carrying so much more corner speed and braking later on the 675R.

LOVE both bikes and it's nice to have both, because they are so different.

#23 ·
I have a Daytona 675R and a BMW S1000RR; probably two extreme opposites as far as sportbikes go. Each has it's pros and cons.

675R:

A scalpel, feels extremely light, flickable, instant change of direction, decent power, amazing sounds (especially with the CF Arrows slip-on and a high octane tune with intake flap and exhaust butterfly permanently open using ECU Tune) tons of fun and can use all the power in a lot of places, great front end feedback, good brakes with the Carbone Lorraine C59 pads.

BMW S1000RR:

Utterly berserk, cartoonish power, especially with my full race Akra Ti EVO system and PCV with custom tune; it's freakish. Feels HEAVY compared to the 675R, turns in slower, needs more muscle to change direction, great brakes, great gearbox (now I have 43K miles on the bike), fantastic stability once in the corner, insane exit drive out of the corners (running "slick mode" at the track).

I rode both bikes on the same day at a recent Thunderhill track day and it took me 5 sessions before I was as quick on the S1000RR as I was on the 675R. Once I got a handle on the BMW and got to grips with how differently I had to ride it, I ended up being around 2 seconds a lap faster on it than on the 675R, BUT !! I think I will still be faster on the 675R at Sears Point.

The S1000RR is perfect for Thunderhill with plenty of room to use the power. For example, I was hitting around 135 mph on the 675R at the end of the main straight.... on the S1000RR I was hitting 164 mph !!!

I think riding the S1000RR has made me a better rider on the 675R, because I am utterly wringing the 675R's neck now; the power feels so friendly and usable compared to the S1000RR, that I feel almost invincible on the 675R. The S1000RR is an exercise in controlling a small nuclear explosion when the power kicks in; the 675R is all about corner speed and momentum, where the BMW is point and pull the trigger and then hang the f@ck on. When I get back on the 675R after the BMW, I constantly run into the rev limiter until I recalibrate my right hand. Also, it's weird carrying so much more corner speed and braking later on the 675R.

LOVE both bikes and it's nice to have both, because they are so different.
So what you are saying is in order to be fast on a 600 you have to ride the heaviest 1000 and then hop on the 600 and tear it up! lol

Cool to see the comparison between two completely different bikes. I have never ridden or owned a 1k bike but this 675 compared to my previous bike which is a 600RR the Triumph is better in every way! Except for the fact that the suspension needs to be resprung for my body weight.

#25 ·
feedback, good brakes with the Carbone Lorraine C59 pads.

BMW S1000RR:

yeah but the bmw 1000rr is head and shoulders above all the other litRE bikes so that isnt a fair comparison for the OP!

#27 ·
Just curious, why are you married to keeping your R6? Is it a track-only bike? I had an '03 R6 before I moved over to a standard Daytona, and honestly there was no going back. The R6 just felt wrong after experiencing the Daytona.

All I'm saying is, without any context, the CBR isn't the first bike I'd be kicking out of my stable. Aside from the redundancy of having two middleweight bikes, the Yamaha is just vastly inferior (as good as it was for its time).

I guess I could see how it might not have enough resale to make price right on the Daytona though.

#28 ·
Tex...You're correct on the CBR1KRR bringing more funds available for the new purchase, and the fact that I do have another literbike (FZ1) to flog. And a more comfortable one at that.

The R6 is setup nicely for the track, but is not worth a lot. Easier to accept if it went down. So, I will be keeping the R6 for track-only duty...for awhile.
I wont be able to convince myself to track a $12K+ valued bike...right away. :laugh:

But it WILL see track time eventually. :coolgleamA:

#29 ·
The reality is the only difference is the amount of power. So many people try to make them selves feel better about owning a 600 instead of a 1000 by telling a tall tail of passing a 1000 during a track day, or easily keeping up with their buddies, but the fact is there's a reason why they are in different catagories when it comes to racing. A professional will go faster on a bike with more power than less. Just look at lap times for MotoGP & WorldSBK. In every race this year the 1000's lapped faster than the 600's. The superbikes lapped faster than the supersports. We're past the age of the heavy 1000's, my 1199S weighs as much as my Daytona did stock, and it corners just as well.

In the end, it's just personal preference. A 600 is fast until you ride a 1000. But you're going to have fun on either one, neither is better or worse. One is just a bit faster overall :nod:

#32 ·
Yes, agreed. However, someone else mentioned being more relaxed on the smaller cc bike which would most likely lead to better/faster riding. Professional riders are the exception, not the rule.

My experience has been that I am faster on smaller displacement bikes and have more fun while doing it. When I tried to go bigger in MX, I just couldn't get comfortable with all the power and reverted back to my YZ 125. It wasn't so much that I needed more power but moving into the 250/450 bikes was the natural progression. Keep in mind though, I'm just a scrappy 5'7" 150lb rider.

Moving on to the street, I used to have a Street Triple R and also a Speed Triple 1050. I sold the Street Triple R and keep hanging on to the Speed Triple. I like all the power, it's fun and all that but still feels like too much for the street to have fun on without instantly going to jail. I have recently purchased another Street Triple and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's riding style that plays the most part because I'm a very active and engaged rider. Like on the YZ 125, you have to be very active and on the pipe to make it dance but oh, what a dance it is! I feel the same on the 675 and it helps me be loose and fast. It is now definitely my tool of choice but I'm still keeping the liter bike so I can look cool if I'm being honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.