Triumph 675 Forums banner

MSRH - Ridesmart - 10/28/12

2K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Red October 
#1 · (Edited)
Edit: added a photo.

So I did my second track day yesterday at MSRH with Ridesmart.

My first track day was with the dealership I bought the bike from and while it was great fun it was nowhere near the instructive class that is Ridesmart. (Nor was it meant to be)

So I feel like I learned quite a bit and really had a blast.

This is only my second track day and I've been riding less than a year (but up to 13k miles on my bike so far.)

My buddy was with me also and is on the green ZX-10 in one of the videos. He had a blue jersey because we were both riding with the instructor (he's in front of me, and then drops behind me to follow)

Here's the videos:
Note: due to gopro malfunctions both videos just abruptly shut off =/

I do however feel like the short tank on the bike really throws me off.

Anyone else with a triple feel this way?

Sport bikes I've ridden make it easier to get BP right (to me) since you're laying on the tank, not to mention the rear sets are normally further back and the clipons further forward to aid in keeping you down. Then again I did buy a standard, what did I expect?

With the street triple I have to lean really far forward towards the tank and it feels unnatural at times as if I'm just leaning too far down. To the point my elbows are resting on my knees or lower if I wanted them too, lol.

I'm really considering trading the triple in for a daytona now or something along those lines... Guess we'll see. Definitely addicted to the track now, though.

After the instructor rode behind me the first time, he recommended I do the check run for Level 2. So my next run I had him lead and follow and passed the check ride, so I'm pretty excited about that. Although I will probably stay in Level 1 until my friend moves up as well.

Attachments

See less See more
2 1
#2 ·
I was there as well, in lvl2. Had a blast, only my 2nd outing to MSRH. I like RS school format however after doing TrackTactics (who incidentally now employ the former lvl2 lead instructor for RS) I prefer TT school. Too bad they do TX tracks very rarely.

My video is here:

Not the fastest lap (I managed a 2:08...of course fast lvl3 run it at 1:45) due to traffic and my cautious nature and inability to pass on the inside. The guys in the beginning were...the usual "look how fast I am on the straights! Oh shit! Turn coming up! Brake brake brake!" sort.

#3 ·
Haha, yeah in Level 1 people were seriously parking it in the corners. I had real power deficit compared to most of the people out there so I had to increase my exit speed to get around them or wait for them to brake halfway down the straight.

There were times I got within a foot of the back tire of a few guys because they slowed down so much (especially diamond's edge and the bus stop...)

Next you go to the track hit me up man, I have no triple brethren around here that I know!

#7 ·
My advice is dont stay in L1 long, get comfy and move on. It's dangerous at times, my friend who I tried to wait on literally never moved up like 12+ track days in L1. I registered him for L2 one day when I was riding to try and tow him and it was insane how slow he was I couldn't go slow enough to keep myself on a safe line and with him.

I was there in the ARC class. Black and red D675 w #101 on it. I dropped considerable time and still have much more to drop. 3rd time on my 675 4th time at MSRH. ran 157.9 and a bunch of 158s. My previous best was on my old gsxr600 at 201 with average 205s. I'm going to try and go in December and shoot for 55s just need to get my entry speed up, drive is great, entry speed ehhh not so much.

Keep w it. If you ever need anything and see me in the pits I usually have spares and tools.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

#8 ·
My advice is dont stay in L1 long, get comfy and move on. It's dangerous at times, my friend who I tried to wait on literally never moved up like 12+ track days in L1. I registered him for L2 one day when I was riding to try and tow him and it was insane how slow he was I couldn't go slow enough to keep myself on a safe line and with him.

I was there in the ARC class. Black and red D675 w #101 on it. I dropped considerable time and still have much more to drop. 3rd time on my 675 4th time at MSRH. ran 157.9 and a bunch of 158s. My previous best was on my old gsxr600 at 201 with average 205s. I'm going to try and go in December and shoot for 55s just need to get my entry speed up, drive is great, entry speed ehhh not so much.

Keep w it. If you ever need anything and see me in the pits I usually have spares and tools.
View attachment 33775
View attachment 33776
Yeah, I think I'm going to go ahead and try level 2 so that I can learn more next time. I think my friend will move up to level 2 next time, the instructor said he had good body position the majority of the time. He just needs to be more consistent and carry a little more speed.

My times from the videos show about 2:10, though that's only 1 "clean" lap from the videos before my go pro shut off. I really didn't get into the groove until later in each session once I felt my tires were warmed up.

I see a lot of ways I could have dropped time though, that's for sure.

Next time I might try the bike's lap timer just to see how I'm doing and if I'm progressing at all. I didn't really think to use it last time.

#9 ·
I started with a go pro and made myself sick watching the time I lost going into corners over breaking ect. Still a great tool but I find w the lap timer I stay at wot longer and break later. It's funny how an up shift for a second before down shifts can change lap times.

I have the xp lap timer it's the 100$ version. It works for my needs I kind of wish I spend the extra money to get the pro but meh only once in a while do I have trouble catching the beacon.

#10 ·
I started with a go pro and made myself sick watching the time I lost going into corners over breaking ect. Still a great tool but I find w the lap timer I stay at wot longer and break later. It's funny how an up shift for a second before down shifts can change lap times.

I have the xp lap timer it's the 100$ version. It works for my needs I kind of wish I spend the extra money to get the pro but meh only once in a while do I have trouble catching the beacon.
That's the main point my instructors make: I overbrake badly.
So brakeless drills for me...stick to 3rd gear and don't use brakes, just engine. That tends to help quick, although I've found myself getting carried away at MSRH a few times and the Launch approaching much faster than I thought. That's always a good practice either for braking or for going into turns quicker.

I can make up a ton of time simply not being afraid of going in faster or staying on the throttle for longer, but I'm cautious by nature.

#11 ·
The launch was a mental thing for me to for a while, still pretty slow but I've gotten in the habit of clicking from 4 into 2 right as I start that small up hill portion, the rear end gets some action it settles and I turn in.

My first ARC was at barber and I saw people doing all kinds of crazy things right before turn in so I figured if they can do it I can too so my slipper clutch gets put to work now.

Getting the rear to spin up right before turn in probably isn't the safest thing but it works for me :shrug; I only once got a little pucker because I came in too wide and too hot but didn't get any indications the bike was mad about it (as in trying to kick me off)

#12 ·
So I got a few photos from hart photography. I definitely need to work on hp and getting used to leaning over more.

The corners I got e lowest on we're diamonds edge and sugar and spice. None of the pictures were from those corners though.

Attachments

#15 ·
RS level 2 can be dangerous... There tends to be lots of ego. Guys who should be in level 1, but sign up for 2, and guys who should be in level 3 but don't because they want to be "the fast guy" Huge mix of speed in experience, but a great place to learn how to pass.

Don't let anyone tell you ya can't hang off on a Striple:

#16 ·
RideSmart is a good organization for the most part. You can't deny they get a lot of people to the track, and teach them a lot. There is certainly some value there. I have never ridden with TT because Im not a fan of TWS, and that is the only track near by they go to. I have been with LSTD once, and they are a top notch organization. Very well structured, organized, and run. I as running in their "A" group that day and could see a difference in the riders as well. The crazy fast guys were not just fast, but made clean passes without taking unnecessary risks. The guys I was with gave positive feedback about the instructors, but I have never had a class with them. I know with RS, if you take the class more than once you will see how repetitive it is.

#18 ·
I think all track orgs suffer from the "ego" problem, the "I've ridden for 10 years on the street, I aint no beginner". And RS does pull people out of lvl2/lvl3 and drop them down if rider does not belong. It just takes a few sessions and complaints.

Never been to barber but times like that is when I break the "no inside pass" rules or just go outside, and generally in lvl2 simply hang back for a few turns to look at the rider infront style. I think we've all been bit by the liter dumbasses.

My only complaint with RS is their grid size. TT and LSTD run smaller grids and tend to have less problems, HOWEVER! Last time TT came to TWS and proudly proclaimed that "we didn't have any crashes during at our previous track day" they promptly ended up with a bunch. However, this may actually have more to do with (as expressed by some of the CMRA racers I've talked to) southern riders aggressive personalities. Apparently up north they are more polite even in advanced groups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.