Triumph 675 Forums banner

Anybody running heated grips on their 675?

3K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  ZrexRich 
#1 ·
Living in CO is an exercise in temp extremes. I've been considering heated grips for a bit as most seasons here have chilly mornings and evenings leaving the hands out "cold" so to speak. It seems the heated grips would make these chilly mornings more doable and extend the overall season. I've looked at the Oxford grips, they seem to have good reviews and could be removed in summer if desired. My question is, do these grips effect performace at all in terms of fit, feel etc.?

#5 ·
I didn't want the Oxford grips for all the reasons stated. I went with DuelStar heated grips which consist of a 3M thin heating element which attaches to your bar or clip on directly. You then can put whatever normal grip you want over the top of it (might not work with Rizoma or Driven metal grips) and no one will know you have heated grips unless they notice the extra wires and/or switch on your dash. I have these on my FZ6R and they keep my hands plenty warm on the "low" setting. I never use the "high" setting as it makes my hands sweat. I live in Alaska BTW, and ride until the snow sticks. I do combine these with a Tourmaster heated vest. But I only use the vest when it's in the 30's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
I didn't want the Oxford grips for all the reasons stated. I went with DuelStar heated grips which consist of a 3M thin heating element which attaches to your bar or clip on directly. You then can put whatever normal grip you want over the top of it (might not work with Rizoma or Driven metal grips) and no one will know you have heated grips unless they notice the extra wires and/or switch on your dash. I have these on my FZ6R and they keep my hands plenty warm on the "low" setting. I never use the "high" setting as it makes my hands sweat. I live in Alaska BTW, and ride until the snow sticks. I do combine these with a Tourmaster heated vest. But I only use the vest when it's in the 30's.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App
That looks like it might be an option. On the throttle side, did you put the heat tape right on the bar? Or does it go over the throttle tube? Also, did you use the shrink wrap tape available on the website for the left hand side?

#7 ·
the heat element goes right on the throttle tube. if you want you can wrap a layer of electrical tape on the other side to help insulate the hearing element from the metal of the handlebar which can absorb a lot of heat and make it take longer for that side to heat up. some grip heaters have two different pieces of heater film and the non throttle side has more heating to power to help with the fact it losses more heat tot the handlebar.

I think heated grips make a big difference in comfort in cold weather. I have a heated vest too. it's great. I don't have to layer up as much and there is less bulk around my arms so I'm not all constricted by my clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#12 ·
some grip heaters have two different pieces of heater film and the non throttle side has more heating to power to help with the fact it losses more heat tot the handlebar.
I have the Heat Demons installed on my ST3R, which work as described above and so don't require any insulation on the clutch side handlebar. The throttle side heats up a little more quickly but the temps end up being even on both sides.

I prefer these to the Oxfords because I can swap any rubber handgrips I want onto the bike, keeping the heating elements in place. (I've tried a couple and finally settled on a pair from Oury, they're awesome.) Someone else mentioned they probably wouldn't work well with metal grips like the Rizomas and I suspect that's true, but haven't tried them.

Overall I'm happy with the Heat Demons. The low setting could be stronger, it's only barely noticeable through my gloves. The high setting works well for me, tested down to the low 40s temp riding at highway speeds so far. But I'm not wearing serious winter gloves, only waterproof ones with fairly light insulation.

You might also try running some hand guards in the winter to keep the wind off your hands, if the heated grips aren't enough.

#9 ·
I use these grip wraps from Aerostich.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-warm-wrap-grips.html

I have ridden 150+ miles with them on and they didn't bother me at all. You will notice them but I don't think they are thick enough to cause any issues with control. They get hot to the point where I need to turn them off. I went with these instead of the Oxfords because they about 10x easier to install and come off just as easily.

#10 ·
oxford all the way. I have them on for the whole year, increasing wear.
oh and heated gloves dont warm the palm of the hand. you need both. drove in 1celcius yesterday, tomorrow it'll be -2. i have an 80 km commute and wouldnt go without my heated grips.
maybe ill try another brand on my clipons but i am happy with the oxfords and gerbing gloves combo
http://www.triumphrat.net/street-triple-forum/193863-my-oxford-heated-grips-installation.html

Sent from my Motorcycle idevice

#11 ·
I have the coils from cycle gear that go under the grips with the hi/lo setting, just leave it on high for the most part, although sometimes it does get too warm... I didn't put anything under the clutch side, so it's right on the metal...

They work great for my needs...

in the summer i just unplug the cables from the battery just in case I accidentally flip the switch or something...

#13 ·
lol I was looking for the same thing last week after a run through canon city, cripple creek, woodland park, and back to the springs. I thought I was going to lose my fingers from frostbite in Cripple Creek. Even had full gauntlet leathers and latex gloves on.

I went to Apex and they had the kind that you wrapped on the bars and put your grips back over. Cost $30 from them. Went home and put the package next to my bike in the garage. One hour later I found the package torn apart and in pieces all over the backyard from the dog.....damn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.