Triumph 675 Forums banner

Flooded Bike.

4K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  kvillebuckeye 
#1 ·
By bike was flooded due to Hurricane sandy. It was totally submerged under water for a couple of days. Does anyone know how hard it would be to repair a bike that has been involved in flooding? It is a 2009 model with around 2500 miles on it.

It has been converted to a track bike and unfortunately I did not carry insurance.

#3 ·
I would start with making sure the electrical system was good... ck the fuses & replace the batt. Then if the water was up above the exhaust I would pull the head & make sure there is no water in the cylinders. change the oil & gas, clean the air box/replace filter. I would think as long as your electrical is still go you should run. I would also clean & lube all the electrical conecters, front & rear axles, swing arm pivot, and chain (replace if bad). Replace brake pads & I dont think you would have to but better safe then sorry bleed your brakes. Just do a real good once on it.

#18 ·
If the bike was completely submerged chances are the motor is not gonna be savable. The salt is now throughout the entire engine and has started to corrode the metals. the wiring should be ok and the fuse box you can pull apart and clean up. if the metal prongs in the fuse block have started corroding as well you can use some simple things to help stop it from going any further like coca cola. Unfortunately you will probably be better off buying a used motor tho. Really sorry to hear that man! Good luck on the journey to repair it!

#24 · (Edited)
Does anyone know how hard it would be to repair a bike that has been involved in flooding?
I'm interested in the same question, cause I'm searching for some salvage bike now (unfortunately I can't afford to buy a new one at the moment)and I came up with an auction selling water damages cars and motorcycles, so I was thinking that I could buy it really cheaply but the question is, how easy it is to repair it.

#25 ·
I'm interested in the same question, cause I'm searching for some salvage bike now (unfortunately I can't afford to buy a new one at the moment)and I came up with this link it is an auction selling water damages cars and motorcycles, so I was thinking that I could buy it really cheaply but the question is, how easy it is to repair it.
Well just read this thread. Plan on having to rebuild or replace the engine.

The bad part about those auctions are you have no idea how much water damage there was or how long it's been sitting. Probably a few months at least.

#29 ·
Sorry to hear that! Post some pictures of the bike and teardown! There's alot of knowledgable folks on here who may be able to help

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.