Triumph 675 Forums banner

Street Triple as second bike?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Ruby Racing 
#1 ·
Started riding last year, put two months on a Ninja 250 and then pulled the trigger on a Street Triple, def wasn't ready for the bike and had a serious accident shortly thereafter - sold it.

Got a CBR 250 in March of this year, put around 3500 miles on that so far, including daily commuting thru heavy NYC urban traffic in rush hour, long scenic rides, lane splitting, in the rain, at night, etc. Definitely feel like my skills have improved immeasurably since last year, and I'm bouncing off the bike's limits every day - def has great handling but the power is just not there, I'm always at WOT on the damn thing :p

Time to upgrade. I can either do the next "middleweight" step, like a monster 696/796, or the new CBR 500 that's coming shortly (470cc, 47 bhp @ a somewhat heavy 430lbs, 30lb/ft torque) :

Or jump back on the 2013 Triple, which is what I really really really want :)))

You guys think I'll be able to handle a Triple at this point? Or go for a middleweight for another season? Muscle memory is pretty good - also I'm a tad short for it, 5'7, but can prob get seat shaved. Is the Triple easily maneuverable in city traffic?

Any input on the G2 throttle tamer? The sensitive throttle got me into trouble last time lol.

Thanks in advance for your input!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats not a call any of us can make, thats on you.......

Id say if you're still having doubts then you might want to go a while longer

#4 ·
Only you can make that decision, I do know that there is a restrictor for the street triple tho, limits it to 33bhp, it just stops the throttle twisting round too far, only costs £30 pound here in the uk. That will let you get used to the bike and the sensitivity of the throttle, there is a lowering kit available aswell if need be. Then once you have experience on the bike, restrictor off, same bike but more power! The street is great for filtering through traffic btw.

#8 ·
Great idea! Maybe do that during the break in period, need to stay below 6k rpm in any case, that first 500 miles should do the trick.

From what I've read on the 2013 they changed the rake and trail for easier steering and a smaller turn radius, plus a taller first gear. I'll definitely check out the mc show this year!

#7 · (Edited)
I would have to agree that this is your call.
I ride in Boston traffic everyday since that is home, and NYC is worst by a lot, if you can handle that then you are doing something right. The Striple (IMO) is more suitable for urban riding vs. a more traditional sport bike, simply because of the riding position. The bike is quick and narrow, with good brakes, one thing you need to learn real quick is to avoid jerking the throttle when you hit a bump in the pavement.
There is a MC show in NYC this January, I would suggest you go and see all your options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.