Triumph 675 Forums banner

R1 rear shock for STR?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  TwoWheeledWonder 
#1 ·
Did anybody fit a R1 rear shock to a Street Triple? The dimensions looks in order, and I like the settings you have on the shock. I know that the CBR shock works, but I think the R1 will also?:thumbup:

#3 ·
i would think this could be a good choice. Especially since the preload is hydrolic. Thus potentially eliminating the need to take the shock out or remove the rear sets to adjust it like the CBR shock.

I'm talking with 2 local 09 R1 owners about getting their stock units (Unit HEH). I'm thinking of going this way instead of forking out the 800 bucks for a aftermarket unit. I'm sure the 800 unit will be WAY better then any OEM one but I need to do the front end and 800 bucks is about all that I have to play with. Also the R1 shock has high and low speed adjustment I don't think the CBR does...

If/when I get this going I will update this thread or start a new one, as there is no info about the R1 shock that I can find.

#4 ·
I think the R1 spring is too light... different ratio on the "flux" plates. If you get it and have to change the spring, you may be sol on the adjustments, therefore, you'll then need to revalve the shock to work with the new spring, therefore, so much for saving money. If you're looking for lots of adjustability, might as well get a newer daytona shock, which has high and low speed compression adjustments.

Nuno!

#6 ·
I put an '09 R1 shock on ~1 year ago & have at least 6k on it. :thumbup:

The eye-eye length is 295 mm, upper bushing is 32 mm wide, lower is 25 mm wide, & both are 10 mm. Easy enough to make/find 2 x 2.5 mm spacers for the lower eye, but you have to remove the top yoke and machine off 1 mm on both inside faces to fit the shock eye. (Note: the yoke's maximum stress is at the bend - just don't machine up to it) Stock R1 spring is 9.75kg/mm ~550lb/in, free length is 162 mm, & max installed spring length (minimum preload) is ~148 mm. If you need a different spring rate you will need a 6" spring and a couple spacers.

I'm lucky enough that the stock R1 spring works for my weight (240#) and usual riding (mostly smooth Socal canyon roads). Trackday fanatics will want something stiffer, I'm sure. I set the C/R per the R1 owners manual and haven't felt any need to mess around. The hydraulic preload is definitely nice compared to lockrings.

FWIW a friend with an R first did a respring to adjust for his weight ~150; then bought a CBR600 shock and says the CBR shock is far better than the stocker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.