Triumph 675 Forums banner

Goes to show basic maintenance pays off.

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MadMel 
#1 ·
Ok so this kind of mielage is not impressive for full on street bike but for a single cylinder air cooled dirtbike and no major work done im impressed. This goes to show that doing the just the minimal maintenance helps. So my friend just triped 30,000 miles on his suzuki 96 dr650, and they are not easy miles this bike gets the crap riddin out of it, he rode it through college, it has been from East to West across the US and mostly on dirt roads, and believe it or not it has been raced. This is the maintenance he has done so far.

regular oil changes
airfilter changes
clutch
chain and sprokets
cables
brake pads
chush drive replacement
new exhaust when the oem one rotted out after 16 years of hell
welded sub frame twice.

this bike has never once had a set of rings, only valve adjustment was after the first serivce in 1996 (they never went out of spec), still has the original timing chain and tensioner, and the bike burns no oil, and it is just as fast as my 07 dr650. im really impressed goes to show basic maintenance really helps. since the bike is still running strong but looks like hell im donating my stock tank, steat, bars, suspensuion, and fenders from my 07 to make it look nice, and we are replacing the timnig chain tensioner, checking the valves, and she should be ready for another 30k mi.

if this basic air cooled dirtbike can do this type of mielage imagine what a properaly maintained 675 could do.

heres the ugly old girl

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Impressive. Thats why I try to keep up with extended maintenance on everything I own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.