Triumph 675 Forums banner

R/R Experience

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  worldonpause12 
#1 ·
G'day all,

I've been absent for quite a while due to being busy with work and study, but I thought I'd share a recent experience in case it helps someone out.

Yesterday I finished work early, around lunchtime, and was riding home, it was about 32ish celcius or 90F, so it was hot, but not as bad as it'll get when it hits summer soon.

I made my way through a busy intersection and started to accelerate up a hill and everything shut down, the tacho stayed on 4500rpm and everything stopped responding. I pulled over to avoid getting cleaned up by a semi/ B-double/ Lorry depending on where you're from.

Did the usual checks, fuses and so on, nothing seemed to get it started. I couldnt get to the main 30A fuse while on the side of the road so I pushed it to the shopping centre further down the road. Still couldn't get to the fuse without lifting the tank off.

Managed to push the bike home where i could pull it apart. The 30A was blown, but I wasn't happy with just replacing the fuse, I needed to know why it blew. Jumped on the forum, did some searches, found a lot of information on dodgy R/R units so figured i should run some checks on the charging system.

Checked the batter while running and it was only putting out 12.7V and kept dropping slowly. So I put the battery on charge overnight (still connected to bike).

I then checked the battery in the morning and it was showing 5V. Obviously, the bike wouldn't start and couldn't be jump started. Connected up a new battery and the bike started, but the voltage sat around 12-13V before steadily dropping while the bike was running.

Now that I was sure the charging system wasn't working, I pulled out the R/R and it was burnt out:

I figure the exposed wire shorting was the cause of the blown fuse.

I called my local dealer to price a replacement and they quoted $540 for a new one. I'm not paying that much for an R/R so I did some research and came across http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/ I placed an order with them for a MOSFET R/R and got it express shipped for under $200, thank you America :cool2:

It's ruined a perfectly good Saturday out riding, the first sunny saturday in a few weeks, but that always better than it happening on my weekend trip in two weeks :thumbup:

Bit of a long post, but figured someone might benefit from reading it if they're going through the same issues and haven't stumbled upon the multitude of other info on it.

- Marty

See less See more
#3 ·
My local dealer is about as close to useless as they come, it'll take them weeks to get it sorted, if they actually honour the recall.

After experience i've had in this town, if i can do the work myself, i'm more than happy to, at least then I know its done properly.

The only good dealer i'm aware of it about 3hrs drive away at least :unhappy:

#5 ·
I had another chat to the dealer and the guy wasn't even aware there had been a recall... :1plthumbsdown:

But oh well, it's ordered and I know it's been done right if I do it.

Had a mate take a bike in for a service and he got it back with no fuel, an almost dead battery, some cross threaded fairing bolts and the seat fell off because they didn't attach it, so i'm a bit reluctant to let the dealer do anything with my bike.

#6 ·
You can always see if they will just give you the Mosfet RR and do the recall yourself. I know you ordered one already but it wouldn't be hard to sell. Then you could use the money on more bike modifications or new gear :thumbup:

#8 ·
No such thing as "your dealer"... Find a dealer anywhere to honor the recall. If not, contact Triumph. It's a factory recall, the dealer doesn't have a choice in the matter...

Also, check your stator. If the RR is that cooked, your stator is probably fried too. You might have a case to get it covered by triumph as well... Easy to replace, but not too cheap.

#10 ·
My R/R was on its way out while the bike was still under warranty a few years back. The dealer wouldn't replace it because it hadn't failed "yet" so I went ahead and did the R1 mosfet unit replacement just to be done with it. Now I've been having issues with the mosfet replacement only charging at about 12.3v that I'm trying to sort out. Hopefully not a stator issue, but I just received the notice for my VIN last week and called the dealer to tell them the story. They've ordered me a new one and are replacing it even though I have already done my own aftermarket replacement.

#14 ·
I called the dealer and the part is on the way, I didn't want to have to trailer my bike to the shop the get the r/r replaced, so I got my dad (friends with the shop owner) to see if I can just get the part given to me, because being a recall job, they are supposed to fit it. He took the details off me and all I've gotta do now is pick up my part when it arrives.

My r/r from the states is sitting at the post office now waiting to be picked up, its turned up just in time for me to fit it before I am supposed to be going on a weekend ride in less than 2 days time.

So in the end, I've spent and extra $200 to get a part in time for my ride and i'll have a spare OEM r/r sitting at home if required :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.