Triumph 675 Forums banner

Noob from Cincinnati

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Bhodi513 
#1 ·
Hi guys.

I'm looking to join the 675 brigade!

I'd like to find a cherry Striple R sometime soon.

thanks,

mike

#2 ·
Welcome. You can find a lot of good info here. The classifieds will have a few bikes for sale but I can'tr recall if there are any "R"s in there now.

I have a lot of relatives in Cinci but it's been a very long time since I've been there.

#4 ·
Well, that was quick!

I just got back to Cincy with Wringer's '09 STR. The bike is Mint, my favorite color-Graphite, and a pleasure/thrill to ride.

I'll write up a detailed ride report later, but the skinny is we met in St. Louis and I rode the bike back to Cincy Sunday & Monday.

A chilly ride it was! And...get this...it was my first ride..ever...400+ miles...had a blast except for the cold. 60-70mph in 30 degree temps is challenging! :crazy:

mike

#6 ·
Pics or it didn't happen.

:whistle:

Congrats man!! I feel for you on the cold riding. I try to get my Bonnie out at least once a month. That January ride can be brutal sometimes. Lots of engine hand warming. You can't really do that on the highway though I guess. You're lucky to still have all of your right hand fingers.

AB

#7 ·
Yep. First bike, and first street ride. I completed the MSF course, etc.

So, save your flaming about how stupid this was. I'm completely aware of the risk I took. I was scared, but one has to HTFU sometimes! I was very, very cautious, let cars go by me that caught up, etc.

I took Hwy 50 all the way, so there was plenty of opportunity to learn. By the time I stopped for the day on Sunday in Seymour IN, I was completely comfortable with the bike.

Sunday wasn't bad at all, the temps were in the mid to high 40's, but the wind was out of the north so it never really felt warm.

On Monday I woke up to 25 degrees and was seriously worried. 20 degrees colder than Sunday! I didn't know what was going to happen. But, once I got moving I realized that I was still staying warm except for my hands.

I was wearing A* Apex Drystar Gloves, but my hands still got pretty cold. So, I just stopped a few times to warm up my fingers and then moved on.

As for the rest of my gear; I had visited the new Triumph dealer here in Cincy last week and they turned me on to a new jacket--the Triumph Leybourne. It's not flashy, but it is extremely functional. Actually, two jackets in one. This thing probably weighs 15lbs! It's really, really a neat and technical jacket. The inner quilted liner can actually be worn by itself. I love it. Under the jacket I just had on an Ibex Zepher LS turtle.
My core never even got chilly. As for the bottom half, I wore the Bont armored tights, under a pair of Carhartt flannel lined duck pants. Again, very toasty, even in the sub 30. The jacket is made of a waterproofed/waxed heavy cotton duck as well.

I was also pleasantly surprised that my feet never got cold. I had bought a pair of A* MXS-5 boots. I taped up the vent holes and my feet never even got chilly.

I also broke in my Kriega R20 & US10 on this trip.

So, when I pulled into my parking garage and shut off the bike yesterday, I almost cried from relief that I had pulled this epic journey off. Then I just looked at the bike and giggled!

As for pics. I thought about that, but I was too focused on surviving the ride and the cold to actually take any.

As for the STR, I love the bike and it's easy to ride! It just demands respect.

mike

#8 ·
That's awesome man. I have been deployed for the past year so I haven't gotten to ride. Should be back mid-December and I am praying every day that there is some severe global warming in Cincy when I get home. If you haven't yet, you should head up to the Comet for two-wheeled Tuesday. It's a good group of bike nerds. You will see all makes and models there.

AB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.