Triumph 675 Forums banner

08 street triple daily. Just a couple of questions

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MacBandit 
#1 ·
hi everyone. I have a 08 street triple , just a couple of issues have arisen.

1. bad fuel economy
The bike has 30.000kms , dead standard - latest VIN derived map via tuneECU uploaded. Oil is good tyres are good. I ride 20kms a day average to and from work , i dont spend time warming up - just let her start idle for 30 seconds or so then baby it until warm nor spend too much time idling in traffic. I use 95RON fuel.
I only get 150kms out of a tank just as the low fuel light turns on.

Any ideas of what else I can look at ?
I keep seeing peoples economy online of similar stop-start riding and getting quite better results.

2. "catch" noise when taking off sometimes
Occasionally I feel a "catch" vibration/noise when taking off.
It can sometimes be felt thru the handlebars.
I cannot 100% confirm - but it MAY be related to a heavy stop beforehand.

Any ideas ? Brake pads catching or something?

thanks for any thoughts !

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah you should be closer to about 210kms if my math is right which would be around 130 miles or more, have you done all the maintenance on the bike like air filter, spark plugs ect..? Change oil is good but you should also be following the Triumph manual.

For the catching part, I am kind of confused by that, have you taken apart your brakes and looked them over? Have you done anything other than question what could be causing it? If you do not have the mechanical ability to do so, take it to a good shop.

#3 ·
Bikes tend to run rich until sufficiently warmed up resulting in increased fuel consumption and poorer fuel economy, which paired with you short stop and go travel would result in abysmal economy.

As for the 'catch' noise/vibration you are experiencing, at what rpm are you taking off at and what rpm do you fully engage the clutch as it is possible you are bogging down the engine by keeping the rev's to low

#4 ·
thanks for the quick replies guys.
Yes I understand cold start is sky rocketing rich until idle stabilizers as it warms up - the confusion arises to me when others state similar useage but much better fuel economy :(
Newish spark plugs , K+N air filter installed and New chain + F+R sprocket combo installed with 15t front 47t rear - about 1500kms ago.

150kms out of 14l +/- (last 3 tanks) filled up is pretty shameful. That equals 10.7l/100 !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.