Triumph 675 Forums banner

Tire changer question.

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  chooch 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a shop tire changer. He uses it to change tires for his race car. My question is would I need anything special. Like a adapter or something to change my bike tires ? It would be pretty great if I could just use his machine instead of paying a shop $30 to do it.

#3 ·
I have a manual bead breaker purchased for $100 or so.

Team this up with a static balancer, some rim savers, levers and weights, and you are in business. I've never looked back...it's easy, and gets easier every time you change tyres.

The bead breaker is handy not just for breaking beads, but as a stand to work on as you go about the whole process.

Like so many things in life, the key to it all is lots of lube.

O.B

#4 ·
As long as the operator knows what he's doin', as well as knowing the machine's quirks, should be able to swap tires without marking the rims. I use a 25yr old tire changer without all the new spiffy rim protectors, and I haven't marked up rims. It's 95% operator's care. And it's just an automotive changer, no special bits required.

Nuno!

#5 ·
99% of tire machines should work for motorcycles or cars. However if it's the style that uses a center axle to hold the wheel in then know. If it's a modern type with a swing out arm that drops down and sits on the edge of the rim then it should work however there are different types of wheel clamps and they don't all work well on motorcycle rims.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.