Triumph 675 Forums banner

Calling GP Shifting Riders

4K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  TheEssence 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
So, I am working with a couple of machinists on making a little kit to enable the switch to be made to GP shifting with the standard rearsets, WITHOUT having to put the shift rod outside of the frame. I have searched and read through all the threads where people just reversed the linkage and the rod connection to the lever. We have some ideas, but I would like anyone with GP shifting rearsets (especially the Gilles tooling rearsets!!!!) to post some pictures of them with several angles of the components involved. I am especially interested in the Gilles tooling design because we are kind of headed in that direction a little bit, just gathering ideas. I am not trying to copy Gilles's design or anything, just trying to pool ideas and come up with a simple, and effective solution to this. So please, if you got 'em, post 'em up. Thanks.

#2 ·
attack rearsets do this if i am not mistaken. look into trying to get an eyefull of them

#4 ·
I came up with an idea for a machined part that would be able to work with the stock rod (with only a very slight mod to it) but still keep it going through the stock position of the frame. I am going to talk to the machinist-engineer guys when I get a chance to see what they've come up with. Can you post some pics up though? With some different angles of connections of the lever, rods, mounting points etc...?

#6 ·
Oh, I got ya. Well, if you're going to get the attack rearsets, then you can just get them in GP shift. I am looking to switch over using the stock rearsets. I don't want to buy new ones. My track bike that I just purchased will be GP shift, and I want to get used to it on my street bike and have both set up the same. I spoke to the engineers and looks like we may have a good idea. Will be really simple, and best of all, really cheap.

#21 ·
I had a similar experience with the GP shift where instead of upshifting I downshifted to 2nd gear and the rear nicely hopped and skid leaving a ****** in the corners and while on the straight.

I somehow didn't feel it was natural after using the standard shifting pattern. I was getting used to it but when I hopped on my FZ1, standard shift felt natural and intuitive. Since then I have reverted back to standard shift.

#23 ·
I somehow didn't feel it was natural after using the standard shifting pattern. I was getting used to it but when I hopped on my FZ1, standard shift felt natural and intuitive. Since then I have reverted back to standard shift.
Natural or not, there's a reason for doing it on a race bike. I have a few tracks I ride at where there are some very fast left hand turns and kinks. The bike is leaned over and I'm accelerating through the corner and I need to upshift. But there's no way I could get my toe under the shift lever without dragging it. If I had GP shift I could catch a down(up) shift.

#24 ·
If you are not racing you can do without gp shift as I usually wont shift while leaned over anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#25 ·
If you are not racing you can do without gp shift as I usually wont shift while leaned over anyway.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
This is true, and if I weren't racing I wouldn't be trying it. But now I'm gonna do it on my street bike first to get used to it before I try it on track. If I mis-shift and go down instead of up I won't be bouncing off the rev limiter on a casual street ride.

#26 ·
Definitely makes sense for the track and getting used to it on the street. On the street, I drag the pegs before the shifter anyway but only on those corners that are properly banked like the race track e.g. TN,NC backroads. For the track, I would run the rearsets in the highest and rearest position. Racers generally never drag hard parts! If you are dragging hard parts, you need to fix your body positioning first otherwise you are heading towards a crash/high-side

#30 ·
Who said anything about dragging hard parts on the street? I only see my comment about dragging a toe while trying to upshift on a hard left hander, on a race track. Dragging the rearset, no. But try and get your foot under the shift lever while at full lean on an off camber left hand turn....

#28 ·
After being a track instructor and racing for more than a few years, I would highly recommend if you're planning on running GP at the track, then run GP at the track. Don't start on the street and hope that it transfers...it's a whole different learning experience.

Personally, I have run GP shift on my race bike forever and switch back and forth on street bikes. I have no problem borrowing friends bikes for the street (standard shift), but if it's not GP on the track I have issues. It really is a "mode" you should be putting yourself into when you enter the track...if you have to stop and think before each corner which way you're suppose to be shifting, it limits your attention on MUCH more important things (see Twist of the Wrist series for better explanation).

The only time I've had major issues on the street is when I had one 675 for a race bike and another 675 for street...and you guessed it, GP on the race bike, standard for the street bike. Caught me a couple times on the street...

#29 ·
After being a track instructor and racing for more than a few years, I would highly recommend if you're planning on running GP at the track, then run GP at the track. Don't start on the street and hope that it transfers...it's a whole different learning experience.

Personally, I have run GP shift on my race bike forever and switch back and forth on street bikes. I have no problem borrowing friends bikes for the street (standard shift), but if it's not GP on the track I have issues. It really is a "mode" you should be putting yourself into when you enter the track...if you have to stop and think before each corner which way you're suppose to be shifting, it limits your attention on MUCH more important things (see Twist of the Wrist series for better explanation).

The only time I've had major issues on the street is when I had one 675 for a race bike and another 675 for street...and you guessed it, GP on the race bike, standard for the street bike. Caught me a couple times on the street...
What he said... Right down to having gp on the track and standard on the street.

And as funny as it sounds, I've had no real issues on the track with gp shift until the cool down laps. LOL. Then I suddenly forget the pattern. At race pace, I'm in the zone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.