Running a Red light after waiting ten minutes [Archive] - Triumph675.Net Forums

: Running a Red light after waiting ten minutes

DriftingMustang
04-30-12, 23:08
What is an officers take on this? Its happened to me on my bike several times, sensor never picks me up, look around, go through red light. On 2 occasions ive waited literally 10 minutes for the light to change and just had to say "**** it'' and all I can think is "and this is the moment a cop suddenly apears."

Would I get a ticket because that seems hardly fair?

JRage
05-01-12, 00:38
not sure in your state but Missouri says vehicles that can not trip the sensor can run the red light as long as you waited a decent amount of time. im no cop but i know that was a law passed here and i couldnt see a cop giving you a ticket for not being heavy enough to set off the sensor as long as you wait a little bit and went when no other cars are coming and you cut them off.

noclue90
05-01-12, 01:04
Like he said MO has that law. You should give the police a ticket.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

timwu12
05-01-12, 02:01
CA has a law like that. It's 2 rounds of traffic signals, and if yours still doesn't turn green, you're free to go as long as it's safe.

msparrow33
05-01-12, 07:05
In VA it's two cycles of the light or two minutes. Which ever is less. The only way I would even consider enforcing a violation on someone for that is if I observed them approach the light before stopping. Haven't come across it yet though.

DriftingMustang
05-02-12, 02:48
thanks guys.

Steveriple
05-02-12, 20:22
Same thing happened to me, and once I explained that I had been sitting there for 3 minutes he let me off, and said I did the right thing. However, he said don't leave your bike running on the side stand and go and push the crosswalk button as he would give me a ticket for leaving the vehicle unattended.

Tex2k2013
05-02-12, 21:00
If the law doesn't allow it in your state, and you're truly worried about getting a ticket, you can always turn right and u-turn.

Texas was considering a law that would allow cyclists to run the light but I don't remember if it passed. Personally, I run it in low-traffic areas and do the right turn/U-turn in higher traffic areas.

Tex2k2013
05-02-12, 21:00
Deleted; double post

Tex2k2013
05-02-12, 21:08
Here is a (partial) list of states that allow it, updated through 2011:

Illinois (2011)
Virginia (2011)
Kansas (2011)
Oklahoma (2010)
Missouri (2009)
South Carolina (2008)
North Carolina (2007)
Wisconsin (2006)
Idaho (2006)
Arkansas (2005)
Tennessee (2003)
Minnesota (2002)

Several other states are considering such a law: Georgia, Utah, South Carolina, Texas. Colorado isn't one of them, at least that I could find.

In most states, the law says that if you are hit running the light, you're at fault (duh)

whirlybird
05-02-12, 21:23
This happens to me all the time. I am impatient though and do not wait the full two minutes. The two cycles thing is kind of bogus though because not all lights operate that way. The light near my shop (low traffic area) won't change over unless there is a car there. I treat it as a stop sign when i pull up to it and there aren't any cars around. I already know it isn't going to change. I've never had a problem with police but then again none have ever seen me do it. It is a known problem with bikes though and I highly doubt that an officer would cite you unless it was dangerous at the time you did it.

OKStriple
05-03-12, 12:26
Since Oklahoma put it into effect just a year ago, I carry a copy of the statute with me under the seat, in case I need to run a light and a LEO wants to pull me over. I've had to go through a red light once - but no LEO around.

Papachristou
05-03-12, 17:28
my MSF coach mentioned this but i dont remember the specifics. I am in the AR/TN area. If i dont trip it when i pull up and there isnt anyone around, ill proceed through but it's pretty rare. i know which lights are sensored and ill put some more weight on the front/brake hard and can usually trip them.

Karl
05-12-12, 02:52
Rumour has it that if you put the stand down on the sensor pad/wire loop itíll trigger you being there.
Personally Iíve never tried it out, I just get bored and go when clear.
I havenít been caught yet and itís still illegal down here too. :whistle:

Procinctu
05-12-12, 11:28
Info for California:
I follow the common sense and reasonable standard for citations. If you can convince a judge what you did was reasonable and safe, worst case you go to court if the officer who stops you is not reasonable.

Reference sections for CA:

21450.5. (a) A traffic-actuated signal is an official traffic
control signal, as specified in Section 445, that displays one or
more of its indications in response to the presence of traffic
detected by mechanical, visual, electrical, or other means.
(b) Upon the first placement of a traffic-actuated signal or
replacement of the loop detector of a traffic-actuated signal, the
traffic-actuated signal shall, to the extent feasible and in
conformance with professional traffic engineering practice, be
installed and maintained so as to detect lawful bicycle or motorcycle
traffic on the roadway.
(c) Cities, counties, and cities and counties shall not be
required to comply with the provisions contained in subdivision (b)
until the Department of Transportation, in consultation with these
entities, has established uniform standards, specifications, and
guidelines for the detection of bicycles and motorcycles by
traffic-actuated signals and related signal timing.
(d) This section shall remain in effect only until January 1,
2018, and as of that date is repealed, unless a later enacted
statute, that is enacted before January 1, 2018, deletes or extends
that date.

In CA if you find an intersection that does not get tripped, report it to the department that handles that lane such as the cities Public Works or CalTrans, depending on its location. Make note of when you made the report and get the name who you reported it to.

jason68278
05-16-12, 23:39
Dont know what the law is here in Buffalo, but I run them al time one. One night I noticed the vehicle that was about 30 feet behind me went right through the light too then i noted it was a LEO but he didnt pull me over so im still unsure never looked it up tho.

DriftingMustang
05-19-12, 03:56
anyone know for georgia. im moving back there soon.

TheEssence
05-19-12, 04:34
Info for California:
I follow the common sense and reasonable standard for citations. If you can convince a judge what you did was reasonable and safe, worst case you go to court if the officer who stops you is not reasonable.

traffic on the roadway.
that date.

In CA if you find an intersection that does not get tripped, report it to the department that handles that lane such as the cities Public Works or CalTrans, depending on its location. Make note of when you made the report and get the name who you reported it to.

In the military, they had a motorcycle CHP officer come in and talk about motorcycle rules on the road and he told us that many lights will not detect bikes so if you go through two cycles of lights and still don't get green, then at that point you are allowed to make the left when it is safe to do so.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

doublen675
05-22-12, 06:23
Generally the law says sit through two cycles and then if it still doesn't recognize you then continue cautiously. You may get stopped by an overzealous cop, but 99% of the time you won't get a cite. Just a warning to be more patient. (These are cops who have never owned a motorcycle or ridden on the street and have no idea how frustrating it is to sit and wait on a light to change)

Also take note that the sensors are made to detect larger sized metallic objects I believe. Or weight? Not sure which, all I know is that they are generally buried underground toward the left portion of the lane so that a large vehicle in the nearby lane doesn't trip the sensor as easily. I've noticed that if you ride over onto the center line toward the left side about a car length before the stop line and then come back into the lane for a safe stopping point that seems to work more often than not.

punani
05-22-12, 07:11
I have run red lights afew times due to censor not picking up in traffic lights, there is no other options, watching a video before something to do with strong magnets, put them under your bike to trigger traffic lights.

punani^^

TheEssence
05-22-12, 11:09
I have run red lights afew times due to censor not picking up in traffic lights, there is no other options, watching a video before something to do with strong magnets, put them under your bike to trigger traffic lights.

punani^^

Yea, it has something to do with the electromagnetic field created from an engine, I heard?? Someone had mentioned that before, and my buddy said he would put the bike in neutral and put the kickstand down and the magnets would then pick him up and trip the sensor. Never tried it, but this is what he said.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

brayk1990
05-22-12, 11:15
Yea, it has something to do with the electromagnetic field created from an engine, I heard?? Someone had mentioned that before, and my buddy said he would put the bike in neutral and put the kickstand down and the magnets would then pick him up and trip the sensor. Never tried it, but this is what he said.

Not neccessarily the engine, the engine just happens to be the majority of the metal on a bike. The magnets you can get for the bottom of the bike work by making the bike appear, to the sensor, to have the amount of metal that a car has. This should in theory trip the sensor and hopefully get the light to change.

Renzr
05-22-12, 13:28
Info for California:

traffic on the roadway.
that date.

Thanks for the info.

This has happened to me a couple of times and I just end up turning right and making a U-Turn. Its annoying but not as annoying as having to stop, get a ticket and taking a day off from work to fight it.

flynavy90
06-24-12, 18:56
As a civil engineering student I can add some insight to this issue, since I'm specializing my studies in road design and traffic analysis. If a light uses a sensor, there are two possibilities: 1) the sensor detects magnetic fields made by the metal in your car, 2) the sensor will become compressed by the weight of a car. Usually a bike is not sufficient in either category to trigger it. Even if your state does not legally allow you to run the light, if you get a ticket you can talk to the DOT for your state and tell them exactly what intersection you were at and they will be able to tell you the exact specifications for the sensor you were on. If your bike doesn't meet said specification, take it to a judge and I'm guessing that would be enough to get you off. Granted, it would be easy to prove your bike is under-weight, probably harder for a magnetic sensor. Your best bet for determining the sensor specifications would be to go to the closest traffic control center, they would be the ones with the details of the intersection design.

purpletriumph
01-13-13, 00:13
sounds fair to run it

kvillebuckeye
01-16-13, 21:03
Ditto on a bike probably not tripping either type of sensor. As a cop I can tell you I would never cite a rider for running a light as long as you stop and be safe. Most cops are like me and don't care about numbers or quotas and just want to keep people safe. We get a bad name from the select few who are dbags and would write a nun running late for church. Who are you going to tell more people about? The cop who gave you a nonchalant warning or the dick who chewed you out and gave you a ticket...

Check your state laws. Easy to do online these days.

Decipher
01-17-13, 00:13
If the law doesn't allow it in your state, and you're truly worried about getting a ticket, you can always turn right and u-turn.

Texas was considering a law that would allow cyclists to run the light but I don't remember if it passed. Personally, I run it in low-traffic areas and do the right turn/U-turn in higher traffic areas.

Unless U turns are illegal, too. Thanks God Illinois finally got something right with the red light law.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II using motorcycle app

MIKe30
07-26-13, 14:36
Turn right and eventually get turned back around. More often than not even if you were to get cited you could always plead your case to a judge and they will most likely understand.

Leebean01
07-27-13, 14:20
Washington State is putting up a law soon to allow bikes to run red lights that don't change after a certain amount of time. I have to run them all the time, but usually it is the freeway on-ramp lights that come on during rush hour. The one by my house doesn't pick up my bike, so I run that thing 4-5 times a week.

Razgriz81
07-30-13, 18:07
Here is a (partial) list of states that allow it, updated through 2011:

Illinois (2011)
Virginia (2011)
Kansas (2011)
Oklahoma (2010)
Missouri (2009)
South Carolina (2008)
North Carolina (2007)
Wisconsin (2006)
Idaho (2006)
Arkansas (2005)
Tennessee (2003)
Minnesota (2002)

Several other states are considering such a law: Georgia, Utah, South Carolina, Texas. Colorado isn't one of them, at least that I could find.

In most states, the law says that if you are hit running the light, you're at fault (duh)

Utah passed a trial run of the law. You have to be the only one in the intersection and been sitting there for 90 seconds. So no cars on the other side and no cars behind you or next to you. So far so good no major accidents yet, so hopefully it passes as a permanent law next year

natelepain
07-30-13, 18:26
Here it is advised to write the "Code #" down on your insurance card. This way you'll have a quick reference.

nlp

---------------------------------
Arkansas Code of 1987, Annotated, as amended (2007)
27-52-206. Exception for motorcycles.
Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver
of a motorcycle approaches an intersection that is controlled
by a traffic-control device, the driver may proceed through
the intersection on a red light only if:
(1) The traffic-control device uses a vehicle
sensor;
(2) The vehicle sensor has failed to detect the
motorcycle because of the motorcycleís size or
weight; and
(3) The driver:
(A) Comes to a full and complete stop at the
intersection;
(B) Exercises due care as provided by law;
and
(C) Proceeds with caution through the
intersection when it is safe to do so.

RedAndBlack
04-18-14, 15:36
I had a light by my house when I lived in NJ that I could never trip the sensor. I used to just run it after looking both ways.

One time I rolled up and there was a cop sitting in the parking lot nearby running radar or just watching. I put the kickstand down, jumped off the bike and hit the pedestrian button to get the light to turn.

Not sure if that was mentioned or if that's available to you.

I would assume that even if you got a ticket, a judge would likely throw it out if you exercises caution by waiting, then ensuring the intersection was clear.