Best Stuff To Remove Paint Off Tire? [Archive] - Triumph675.Net Forums

: Best Stuff To Remove Paint Off Tire?

Jebus
07-07-10, 13:16
I got street paint on my tire. Dropped the bike going into my neighborhood at about 3mph thanks to some fresh STOP paint. Paint goes all the way to the side wall. Best way to get it off without the grease from the cleaning crap cause me to loose grip at full lean?

GSE1Fro
07-07-10, 13:37
If its on your tires, just let it dry and wear/rub it off. I was going to suggest WD40 or other types of penetrants, but thought we were talking rims initially, not tires. Other than wear it off I really dont have any good suggestions.

wuzertheloser
07-07-10, 15:03
maybe goo gone....but dunno if it'd leave a sticky / slippery residue

Jebus
07-07-10, 15:32
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try the dry out method right now.

hysinthius
07-07-10, 15:41
ya id try just wearing it off. should come off relatively easy on some tight corners. maybe some on and off ramps.

j

IanRR
07-07-10, 15:42
Sandpaper....... And no, I aint joking.

But like the other post said. You could just leave it dry and wear it off gently.

Jebus
07-07-10, 16:00
ya id try just wearing it off. should come off relatively easy on some tight corners. maybe some on and off ramps.

j

Cause you know, when you have slipper paint on your tire, the best thing is to go full out on the street and try to scrape it off the high profile bridgestone BT003 tires... I hope you're joking.

Sandpaper....... And no, I aint joking.

But like the other post said. You could just leave it dry and wear it off gently.

I like this idea. I mess around with it nest time. It's the paint on the edge of the tire that bugs me. If the tire slips a a low lean for a fraction of a second, i'm likely to recover it. At full lean, no chance in hell.

Jstu202
07-07-10, 17:29
I would recommend not riding it and sending it to my address which I will be pm'ing to you shortly. :whistle:

(Let it dry, use some sandpaper.. lightly)

hysinthius
07-08-10, 09:57
Cause you know, when you have slipper paint on your tire, the best thing is to go full out on the street and try to scrape it off the high profile bridgestone BT003 tires... I hope you're joking.

just because the bend is tight doesn't mean you need to go "full tilt" as you put it. reading your other posts you seemed to have common sense. sorry if i misunderstood that.

let the paint dry and go for a ride just be cautious and it will wear off is all i was saying.

joking would be... toss on some spandex bicycle shorts and crocks. and let er rip. make sure when hitting that apex you hang off and throw out a knee. duh!

all seriousness it should wear off. if its real thick then maybe 400 grit might knock it down.

j

jaegze
07-08-10, 10:25
I use wire brushes for this, use them to scrape white letters on the cars, they work well, not taking any rubber of or scuffing to bad but sure scrape anything off that you want off.

I use these when I clean up my bike instead of any spray on stuff to get them looking good.
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/175x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_786.jpg

MWR
07-08-10, 11:36
Copper battery/white wall brush and some bleach-white tire cleaner. I use it on new tires to take all the factory markings off. I usually see them with a red plastic handle.

http://www.perfectioncarcare.com/prod_images/thumb81.jpg